Make them earn their keep

By TheProfessor, in CoC General Discussion

Looking for feedback on a potentially silly variant of the game to mix things up at monthly gatherings. I used to do something similar to this in MageKnight, but it is harder to figure out the details here. So I'm asking for some feedback.

The basic idea is you bring the deck your opponent will play. So each match you are going to play a different deck. Obviously the idea would be to bring the worst possible cards you can find - those cards that never see the light of day. (This is part of the fun - using those cards!).

However, the deck must be playable or there is zero fun. So every card in there must have the appropriate resource matches, and there must be enough characters to go to stories.

I'm thinking deck building restrictions something like:

Number of cards: between 50 and 60

Number of factions: No more than 2 factions per deck

Number of characters who can commit to stories: No less than 1/3 of the deck (???)

Every card must be playable within the deck construction. If a card requires a specific faction resource, then there must be at least X cards of that faction in the deck.

Actually seems lika quite a lot of fun to me. I would be a bit more strict with deck construction though, probably with the classic 30 characters, 10 events, 10 support structure. Should make the decks much more playable. I would also go for a highlander format just to get more goofiness and fun cards in there.

One problem could of course be high cost cards. If your deck has nothing below 4 cost you could easily lose before playing a single card. If everyone does this though it could be quite fun (at least once). So perhaps a structure would have to be put on that as well.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. I think you need to enforce a cost-curve of some sort or else people will be stuffing decks with all high cost cards that can't be played until late in the game. This will make it slow and tedious I think. I would also add something explicit about Neutral cards. Do they count as one of the two factions? Is there a limit on them?

Otherwise, sounds like a fun idea.

The more restrictive the deck is, the more interesting the deck building is and the more fun to play your opponents deck you will have.

50 CARDS
26 Characters
10 Support
10 Event
4 Misc

26 CHARACTERS
7 @ 2 cost or less
7 @ 3 cost or less
5 @ 4 cost or less
5 @ 5 cost or less
2 @ 5 cost or more

The miscellaneous cards would be the designer's choice to round out one of the card types or include conspiracy cards.

Thanks guys - some good ideas! I don't think the cost issue is a big deal - everyone will be bringing expensive characters, so it will balance out, and we'll get to see these things played when they are usually hiding in a box somewhere.

I like it! Perhaps something to try at 7th Dimension soon? :)

That's what I'm thinking! :0