Revised Rulebook Contradiction?

By conykchameleon, in Red November

Hey all,

I was wondering if there is a clear ruling on the direct contradiction that takes place in the rulebook for the Revised Edition of Red November?

Page 5: "A player cannot enter a room at high water if he is in a room at low water". (i.e. High Water doesn't flow to low water)

Page 13: " When a hatch is opened between a room with a high-water Flood token and a room with a low-water Flood token or no Flood token
at all, the water level in both rooms becomes low water."

What gives?

My friends and I always play with the latter of those two rules in effect. I feel it makes more sense, considering that despite the level of water, these seem to be rather spacious sub-rooms. I.E., I feel as though things would balance out between the two rooms.
I mean, if you rather make things more hardcore, you COULD always play with the former rule. :P

Greetings. I have not yet posted on the forum, and I don't actually have the game yet, but I thought I would reply to this. The rules do not necessarily contradict each other; rather, the second rule applies when opening a hatch between a low-water room and a high-water room when are you are in the high-water room.

I agree with you on the confusion on this point in the rulebook. I submitted an online request today via the web site to clarify this and add an FAQ/Errata to help understand how this should be played. Let's hope they can address this easy request. I believe though in the old rules, it follows page 13 in the approach. Maybe if no answer, this can be a play balance optional rule on how to Reflow water and try experimenting. In my opinion following page 13 still leaves plenty of challenge and have not yet won as the crew using the rules understanding of page 13 of the new rules. Hope this helps, if nothing else, we are in a wait and see mode now.

The rule on page 5 is the old rule, water would not flow between a room at high water and a room at low water. Since everything else on page 13 is a summary of rules elsewhere in the manual, it's my opinion that it was changed by mistake.

You can also read the FAQ on the designer's webpage which addresses this question directly near the bottom.

http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=mesjeux&id=566&fichier=540

Ultimately you can decide which way you prefer to play, as I don't think it changes the overall gameplay all that much.