Yula's Backstab and Whirlwind

By Thrrax, in Tannhauser

We recently had a situation in which Yula came and attacked an Union trooper, with the effect of Backstab, then used Whirlwind to make another attack. Now, according to what the rules of Backstab say, it can be used if Yula and her target weren't on the same path during the previous turn in which she came to attack. Does Backstab apply for the second attack performed with Whirlwind? Because according to the rules, it does. And I haven't found an erata to clarify this.

Yula has the backstab ability? Where from?

As far as I know, Backstab is a bonus token for Yula. Unfortunately, it wasn't rereleased with Revised rules. (Hint to FFG: It's just one of several cool tokens that everybody would like to have and to play with Revised rules - some people would even BUY them!!!)

Did it work like Shin Agent´s "Art of surprise"?

"If Yula engages in Hand-to Hand Combat, and neither her nor her opponent were on the same Path on their previous Turn, the target suffers 1 Automatic Wound. Yula must use Krueger in her Attack."

This is the text I copied from the tannbunker site. It doesn't seem to work similar to "Art of surprise", but close. Or maybe it's just the wording that's a bit strange.

I´ve found the source: The item comes from Daedalus supplement, version 1.0 . I got the french one, and the translation from bunker seems to be right.

To answer the original question, Backstab would only apply to the first attack.

But technicly it's not available to use in the Revised Rules, because it has not been included in any official FFG release I know of. So, your opponent could argue you can't use it at all, if you play 'Tournement Rules" that is.

Well, according to the rules, Yula applies the effect from Backstab when she engages in hand-to-hand combat. That is, according to the logic of engaging in combat, when she comes into melee range of an enemy character, they are considered engaged in hand-to-hand combat, if Yula attacks afterwards. Then, since the automatic wound effect from becoming engaged would not apply for any subsequent attacks because they are already engaged, she can move, thus disengaging from hand-to-hand combat, and coming again for the second attack. Since the path rule refers to the previous turn and not previous attack or movement, she can move along the same path and engage the same character, or another. With Extra Ammunition picked up from somewhere, she can engage and perform three attacks, thus applying 3 automatic wounds. Well, even without Backstab she can still perform 3 attacks on 1 to 3 random targets, if able. And with the luck of rolling at least one N10 for each attack, the combo is devastating.

Not to be mean, but why ask a question if you already have the answer you want?

It's an old token with old rules, you can't find any FAQ on it because TOY's site is gone now, but as far as I now their intention was for it to not be used in combination with the current Whirlwind, which is probably why FFG has yet to release a new version.

Here's why, the Backstab was created when the Wirlwind rules where as follows:

As long as Yula is wounded, her Movement value increases by one.

It had nothing to do with combat, and therefore did not create the unbalenced situation you described. The Backstab wouldn't apply to the second attack because when it was created there was never a possiablity of a second attack. Under you interpitation, Backstab would also apply to counter attacks, that's to powerful for a basic Hero like Yula. If and when it's re-released it will probably bear the Once per Activation rule FFG uses to balence pretty much everything.

You can use it so long as your opponent aggrees to its use and your interpitation of the rules, but I have to say I probably wouldn't let you use it a serious game.

Once per activation is used too much, it should be as much as possible- but instead only grants +1 success or +1 on a roll of ten. roll of 10 would be cool because it would seem like having to pass a stealth test to actually backstab. Might underpower her stamina pack a little bit, but meh.

That would be better GC, I was only saying what FFG is likely to do, not what I want.

I know, I was just saying too. maybe they'll see it.

a bit off subject, is the celerity included with Mizu Kage a bonus token for her or a misprint?

According to FFG's Adam Sadler it's a little of both. It's kind of a misprint because no rules or card was included, but he said we may use it like a Bonus Token, like the extra Commando Delta somke grenade, that was "created with the Revised Rules".

Miah999 said:

Not to be mean, but why ask a question if you already have the answer you want?

It's an old token with old rules, you can't find any FAQ on it because TOY's site is gone now, but as far as I now their intention was for it to not be used in combination with the current Whirlwind, which is probably why FFG has yet to release a new version.

Here's why, the Backstab was created when the Wirlwind rules where as follows:

As long as Yula is wounded, her Movement value increases by one.

It had nothing to do with combat, and therefore did not create the unbalenced situation you described. The Backstab wouldn't apply to the second attack because when it was created there was never a possiablity of a second attack. Under you interpitation, Backstab would also apply to counter attacks, that's to powerful for a basic Hero like Yula. If and when it's re-released it will probably bear the Once per Activation rule FFG uses to balence pretty much everything.

You can use it so long as your opponent aggrees to its use and your interpitation of the rules, but I have to say I probably wouldn't let you use it a serious game.

Thing is, some of the friends I play with are trying to find every logic aspect in the game and take the rules of the abilities "ad literam". And when they lose because a rule is interpreted against them, they wanna "see the erata". And since there isn't an erata for every situation you can encounter, I came here to ask. The argue about Backstab was like this "How can you backstab me twice in the same round? You hit me once, then I turn to you and now I'm facing you. You can't backstab me again." The mistake they make is that they think the whole combat takes like 5 minutes (the time we take to analyze the results and to argue about interpretation), instead of 3-5 seconds, just like a combat turn in a P&P RPG, and that Backstab could've been named Double Backflip Uppercut Roundhouse Kick for all that it mattered, since it's not the name that's important, but the effect of the ability. Well, anyway, I think we're gonna lay off these bonus tokens, since they create such a stir. Although even with old tokens some have problem interpreting the rules right. Thanks for the replies.