How does Mizu's happo work when she is targeted?

By kh_theblack, in Tannhauser

Hi. how does happo work?

It says it works as a smoke grenade, but enemys attacking from non-adjacent circles can still target her? Normally a smoke screen grenade would only make it possible for adjacent enemys to attack with two fewer dice. Here it is the opposite? Adjacent enemys can't attack, but enemys on the same path as the smoke can?

We just can't make any sense of this.. please help and comment if anyone knows how to use happo.

Thanks

If Mizu is the target of an attack, she drops the Happo into the circle she's standing in. Happo immediately produces smoke like a normal Smoke Grenade. The attack isn't canceled completely even if the attacker is not adjacent to Mizu though, but the attacker rolls 2 fewer dice for his attack. The attacker also rolls 2 fewer dice if he's adjacent to Mizu. For the rest of the turn and for the next turns, Happo works like a normal Smoke Grenade.

There are 2 questions regarding Mizu's Happo that I can't answer. First, do you have to use Happo if Mizu is attacked or can you choose not to use it? Second, can you also use the Happo like a normal Smoke Grenade, say use an action to throw it? Both points aren't stated clearly in the rules. I sent both questions to FFG several weeks ago, but didn't get an answer yet.

I think happo does work as a normal smoke grenade if you want to, it is stated in the equipment as it says "smoke grenade" in the type part, and the description does not say "instead of..." anywhere...

I think also that you may choose when to use it.I cant back it with any part of the rules though XD

I think you are right in both points, or I should better say I hope you are right in both points, but the rules concerning Happo aren't clear on it. The rules state: "Happo funktions as a Smoke grenade, except it is discarded after you have been declared the target of an attack ..." You could read this as "Happo funktions as a Smoke grenade with the following exception: You may not throw it, but it is discarded after ..." I don't know if this really was intended. It would have been easy to clear up both points with the following text: "Happo funktions as a Smoke Grenade. You may also discard it after ..." That way, both questions would have been answered immediately.