Oksanas Vesper Attack

By m0ebius, in Tannhauser

Oksana's weapon special attack reads: "To make a special attack, target a circle adjacent to you. Then select a character sharing a path with that circle; that character suffers three automatic successes."

That would allow her to make out of path damage, like though a closed door wouldnt it?

What about mizu kage, Hoss, Hoax targeting limitations or reactions? I think that she is targeting the floor not anybody. She is then choosing someone in the path to receive the consequences... so due to that logic would say that:

Hoax could receive the damage while invisible (as when hit by a grenade)

Mizu and Hoss would not be able to move away.

Mask of shamhain and helm of diomedes would not prevent the attack.

Smoke would not be a problem.

The fluff logic I see is that she is actually using a big taser that uses the floor as conductive medium to transmit the electricity.

Suddently vesper looks way more powerful than it used to be...

Anybody up to challenge my reasoning? Your thoughts welcome.

I'm not sure about the closed doors because I didn't read the rules concerning them properly (I don't have Operation Hinansho yet!), but in all other points you mentioned you're absolutely right!

All of those SEEM accurate; not sure about the word 'select' and how doors interact w/ out-of-path attacks though...

The rules about doors, from what we can see online, only mentions how they affect movement & LOS...nothing about attacking. So unless they mention it somewhere else in the Hinansho rulebook besides the pages shown, or FFG specifically answers that they act like walls do when closed and out-of-path attacks can't go through them, guess we have to assume doors do not affect out-of-path attacks...personally, i'll play that closed doors function like walls in this matter.

The weapon is interesting though - assuming you transcribed rules verbatim (i don't have Oksana yet), it's clear she targets a circle - but then we have the word "select". I guess it's because of other games that i've developed a habit to take the 'target' term literally. So is 'select' synonymous with 'target'? (Oksana targets both a circle AND THEN a character in that case) OR is it purposefully worded to mean something different? (Oksana 'targets' only a circle, the character selection functions similar to Magnifier -> Voivode attack). I'm leaning towards the latter on this as well.

NIPPON ACCORDS v UMTOMA battles this weekend, finally! woohoo

If we take the rules concerning Vesper literally, the attack specifically targets a circle and not a character. So you can damage even characters that can't be targeted. If the person who wrote that rules knew what he or she was doing (I really hope so!), this special attack was designed with the purpose to do out-of-path attacks and damage untargetable characters.

And have a great time with your battles. We want to know every detail of course!

Page 16 of the Tannhauser Rule Book

"Unlike walls however, the doors drawn in on the map do not affect or indicate circle adjacency. "

The true way of knowing if the circles are adjacent is by looking at the map key.

Doors have no baring on the ability.

You are right about the doors drawn on the maps (Castle Ksiaz for example), but I' m not sure about the new closed doors introduced in Operation Hinansho since I don't have the pack yet. They may follow new rules not mentioned in the Revised rules.