Dwalin's ability

By Titan, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

The new update is up and it shows the two new dwarf heroes. In reading Dwalin's effect, a question occurs to me:

Response: After Dwalin attacks and destroys an orc enemy, lower your threat by 2.

Now, does that mean if he attacks by himself or with someone else? Unlike other cards, (Mirkwood Runner, Dunhere) there is no specification that he must attack alone to trigger his effect. So, I'm inclined to believe that it doesn't matter, so long as the orc is defeated. But in the article, they talk about ways to power him up, which seems to suggest he must go at it alone. I know the articles aren't always the most reliable sources and it just seems to me that the best way to trigger his effect is to have him attack with support. Am I correct in assuming this?

Titan said:

The new update is up and it shows the two new dwarf heroes. In reading Dwalin's effect, a question occurs to me:

Response: After Dwalin attacks and destroys an orc enemy, lower your threat by 2.

Now, does that mean if he attacks by himself or with someone else? Unlike other cards, (Mirkwood Runner, Dunhere) there is no specification that he must attack alone to trigger his effect. So, I'm inclined to believe that it doesn't matter, so long as the orc is defeated. But in the article, they talk about ways to power him up, which seems to suggest he must go at it alone. I know the articles aren't always the most reliable sources and it just seems to me that the best way to trigger his effect is to have him attack with support. Am I correct in assuming this?

I'm thinking that as long as he initiates the attack, if the enemy (so long as its an orc) dies you get to lower your threat. Becuase even if you use say Legolas to participate in the attack, Dwalin has still initiated it to it is his attack. Also think the reason they talk about powering him up is so that he can kill some of the bigger enemies and not just titichy little orcs :)

yeah i dont think it matters either

it is almost the exact wording from legolas... so the efect would be the same.

Legolas and Dwalin attacking together and killing an orc. Two counters towards a location or quest card and threat reduced by 2. Not a bad pairing. And just 18 starting threat between the two of them.

Titan said:

Legolas and Dwalin attacking together and killing an orc. Two counters towards a location or quest card and threat reduced by 2. Not a bad pairing. And just 18 starting threat between the two of them.

Add a blade of Gondolin or two on Legolas and it gets even better.

I think he will really come into his own in a all Dwarf Deck. The thought of pairing him with Legolas sounds initially appealing but the synergies of straight dwarves will be better I think.

Beast Rabban said:

I think he will really come into his own in a all Dwarf Deck. The thought of pairing him with Legolas sounds initially appealing but the synergies of straight dwarves will be better I think.

Legolas with a Blade and Dwalin with an Axe: that's 8 attack strength against Orcs, probably enough to kill any Orc enemy. Then you get 3 progress and 2 threat reduction. Awesome.

Legolas is ranged too, so you could play them from separate decks in 2-player: one Dwarf, one Elf deck...the Last Alliance of Dwarves and Elves.

also i think that some quests in the new cycle/khazad will perhaps benefit from dwalins threat reduction, i see some bad treachery cards ahead

richsabre said:

also i think that some quests in the new cycle/khazad will perhaps benefit from dwalins threat reduction, i see some bad treachery cards ahead

And it sounds like those bad treachery cards include swarming of the enemy, so might need every hero and ally possible!!!

Sorry to bring it up after 7 months,but don't you guys think Dwalin Legolas and Brand should have the same expression if they could trigger their effect either by attacking alone or with help? Why do Dwalin and Brand have to "attack and destroy/defeat" and Legolas has to "participate"? If Legolas had to "attack and destroy/defeat" I think all would be clearer. Or if Dwalin and Brand had to "participate"! That would be perfect! They don't say "alone" of course like Dunhere and MRunner but why's that difference on texts? Is that a mistake? What a mess…

ruchlas said:

Sorry to bring it up after 7 months,but don't you guys think Dwalin Legolas and Brand should have the same expression if they could trigger their effect either by attacking alone or with help? Why do Dwalin and Brand have to "attack and destroy/defeat" and Legolas has to "participate"? If Legolas had to "attack and destroy/defeat" I think all would be clearer. Or if Dwalin and Brand had to "participate"! That would be perfect! They don't say "alone" of course like Dunhere and MRunner but why's that difference on texts? Is that a mistake? What a mess…

I'm not sure. But maybe because Legolas has ranged attacks. That makes him more logical to get into assisted attacks that the to others. Or? FFG should hire that guy from BGG, forgot his name, that makes the unofficial *** with at decription of all cards. That's the one I reffer to all the time :)

mr.thomasschmidt said:

I'm not sure. But maybe because Legolas has ranged attacks. That makes him more logical to get into assisted attacks that the to others. Or? FFG should hire that guy from BGG, forgot his name, that makes the unofficial *** with at decription of all cards. That's the one I reffer to all the time :)

Umm, Brand is Ranged too…

Bummer. My bad. I have no idea then. Maybe, if they are to be treated like Legolas, FFG have just formulated it differently. In my opinion better, as in this way you only mention the restrictions if they are there.

Actually it says in the unofficial faq v.6.1 that "The RESPONSE can be used if Brand son of Bain joins an attack that another character declares (official faq 1.2)" Heh, the UN-official faq says that the OFFICIAL faq says… nice one :)

The effect on Legolas occurs any time he is PART of an attack

ruchlas said:

Those two are more recent than Legolas.
They are probably a better written version of the trigger.

…Occam's Razor.