Routed troops in a location being marched into, is that a battle?

By dcdennis, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

My meta played the board game for the first time last night (we are normally LCG guys). The following question came up.

If a location is populated by nothing but routed troops, and that location is marched into, is that location conquered automatically or does a combat battle have to take place with battle house cards being used? One side claimed that it should be the same as taking over a location with nothing but a power token in it. The other side argued that combat should happen and cards should be played. I was part of the former group. It seemed odd to me that a location housing nothing but routed troops could still win a battle based on playing a house card.

thanks,

Dennis

Combat DOES happen, with routed units providing a combat strength of 0. Keep in mind, however, that support may still be provided to those units, and house combat cards ARE still played.

kauai1964 said:

Combat DOES happen, with routed units providing a combat strength of 0. Keep in mind, however, that support may still be provided to those units, and house combat cards ARE still played.

thank you sir. i think my brain was still in LCG mode where a participating character defender of 0 strength is still considered 'unopposed'.

kauai1964 said:

I believe those routed units are also placed on their sides indicating that they cannot be routed again. Should they lose when on their sides they are instead killed.