Leonidas bonus

By Genghis_Ray, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

"Battle: Each time you start a battle with fewer units in your battle force than your opponent, your combat bonus is increased by 8 until the end of the battle."

Just for clarification, is this in addition to the Great General +4 combat bonus, or supercedes the token bonus? If trigger conditionas are met, is Leonidas worth +8 or +12?

Genghis_Ray said:

"Battle: Each time you start a battle with fewer units in your battle force than your opponent, your combat bonus is increased by 8 until the end of the battle."

Just for clarification, is this in addition to the Great General +4 combat bonus, or supercedes the token bonus? If trigger conditionas are met, is Leonidas worth +8 or +12?

Since the card says " ...increased by 8... " and not " ...increased by 8 instead of 4... " I would rule that Leonidas would give a total of +12 if the trigger conditions are met.

Thematically I'd also say +12 since, after all, it was Leonidas who led the force of 300 spartans that withstood the onslaught of the entire Persian army for several days.

" Thematically I'd also say +12 since, after all, it was Leonidas who led the force of 300 spartans that withstood the onslaught of the entire Persian army for several days."

I agree, but he only stopped them once ;)

My concern was the +12 bonus would allow a 2 figure army (5 units) to crack cities pretty easily (6 units + bonus).

True. Which would be a good reason to try and keep your number of units at a relatively even level with the other players... That way you minimize the risk of that specific scenario happening.

After about twenty some odd games. My group and myself have determined that the great people cards are not at all balanced. You either get something awesome (like Americans who could start with an airplane) or someone who only gives you bonus trade and culture when you build wonders. You could also be going for a certain victory and not get a single great person to help your cause.

Don't get me wrong, they are really neat and interesting but a little too random and unbalanced.

Jonny WS said:

After about twenty some odd games. My group and myself have determined that the great people cards are not at all balanced. You either get something awesome (like Americans who could start with an airplane) or someone who only gives you bonus trade and culture when you build wonders. You could also be going for a certain victory and not get a single great person to help your cause.

Don't get me wrong, they are really neat and interesting but a little too random and unbalanced.

Out of curiosity, did people research Philosophy during your 20 games to obtain more Great People?

It was done a few times. But the majority of it was done through the culture track.

I agree, that great persons are not balanced. Compare, already famous, card of Leonidas with, for example, Mother Theresa.

But,

I can understand it. Sometimes one, at first look useless card can change everything, when player know how to use it clever. Also, it is like in real life; always someone has more luck than the other one. Otherwise it would be boring. (Like chess, for me.) The point is to figure out what to do with what you have got.