New fan created scenarios

By kacek, in Tide of Iron

Hi everyone,

I've just bought my copy of ToI together with Days of the Fox expansion. For the last few years I've been playing a lot of memoir 44, but recently I've got fed up and finally decided to try ToI. I hope its more complex rules will make the game more challenging and increase replayability of scenarios. After reading the rulebook online I think that less depends on sheer luck than in Memoir.

But what I wanted to ask more experienced players was if there are any fan created scenarios using the new elements and rules from all the expansions. What was really great about memoir was the living community site with perfectly organized scenario site with scenarios from all the expansions.

I've looked through some 50-60 scenarios on fgg scenario site, and I think there are only fan created scenarios from the base game uploaded.

It reminds me of the Descent site where the same thing happens - tons of scenarios for the base game and terribly few for the expansions (I daresay only for the first one).

Is it the effect of the 'fading novelty' or can the scenarios be found somewhere else? It's a bit striking for me that with the arrival of new expansions with such great themes experienced players don't rush to publish their own scenarios.

I'd be grateful if somebody could describe the situation to me, because before I decide to buy next expansions I would like to know if I won't stay with just the 6 or 8 from the rulebook.

BTW What does the term 'custom' mean? I thought that they were created with the expansion elements (like maps and card decks) but I don't think that's the case.

Regards

Kacper

Well there are guys out there with their own scenarios, including myself. But FFG don't have an editor for ToI anymore, it was taken off their site plus when it was up it only had the base game elements (which is why you would have only found scenarios using the base game)

If FFG had a editor like the memoir one there would be heaps of scenarios out there. I think the lack of fan made scenarios is due to FFG not supporting this side of the game (although their support in all areas isnt really there, we have been waiting for an updated FAQ for fury of the bear for a long time)

I have been working on my own way of presenting the ones I have made (will most likely have to take a photo of the board and mark out the overlayds in another program) But I has been taking alot of time, so I can only work on it now and again. If their was a proper editor supporting all parts of ToI then this would not be a problem.

Someone on BGG did post an editor but after downloading it, I was only able to use it a few times then It wouldnt work anymore, even when I downloaded it to a new computer.

I really like this game, I just wish FFG would give it the same love that DoW give memoir 44.

Thanks for your reply. Now I understand the situation. I knew that it was impossible for a game with so many fans not to have fan created scenarios. It's a shame that FFG doesn't support their product in a proper way, especially that in the rulebooks for the expansions they say that you can find more scenarios for the game online.

I must say that I don't understand the approach of FFG to suporting their products. Now I know that I will probably not buy another expansion, as it is not one of the cheapest games in the market. Of course, I could create my own scenarios, but I'm not talented enough.

Anyway, thanks for your answer and let's hope things will change (I hope as well for the Descent scenario creator to be updated).