An interesting situation...

By Tyrant242, in Drakon

I was teaching my neice and nephew how to play this wonderful game and we had an interesting situation occur. on the first round of the game all of us layed tiles and we ended up with two harp rooms attached to the start tile and no one had moved yet. So how do you determine which one you have to move too. The proposed solutions were at the time that the moving player could choose between the two or flip one of the dragon hoard coins and go with a random 50/50 decider. Thoughts?

Tyrant242 said:

I was teaching my neice and nephew how to play this wonderful game and we had an interesting situation occur. on the first round of the game all of us layed tiles and we ended up with two harp rooms attached to the start tile and no one had moved yet. So how do you determine which one you have to move too. The proposed solutions were at the time that the moving player could choose between the two or flip one of the dragon hoard coins and go with a random 50/50 decider. Thoughts?

I think Harp rooms are intended to force movement in a direction that is not where the players would like to go. Putting two Harp rooms adjacent to the same room is a waste of a very valuable room tile. I would say that players shouldn't be allowed to choose which Harp they follow, otherwise this room could be played to obtain a choice, which is not what the room is intended for.

Random decision could be a fair solution, but for me is better to go into the first played Harp room. This will prevent this situation from happening, as the second Harp room will be useless, and it mantains the spirit of the original rule (this room is played to force a player into following a path).

In my copy of 3rd edition rulesheet, it says that in this situation the active player can choose which room to go to. So this is the official rule, but of course you can play however you like within your gaming group.