A Welcome Old Friend

By David Spangler, in Fortress America

I wondered if FFG would get around to reissuing this classic. I still have the original, much battered by years of playing and enjoyment. I look forward to seeing what changes Kevin has made and how their implemented (beyond the little bit of information given in the product description on its website).

Wow! Add this to the long list of must buy games that FFG has in their queue.

Great work guys! I cannot wait to see your update to this classic game.

Never heard of this game til now, but I am sold on how awesome it must be. Lately I have been buying games though for their solitaire play (Arkham Horror, Space Hulk: Death Angel, Rune Age, and Elder Sign) and I wonder if that will be implementable here.

Tromdial, that's possible, but not likely without big reworking. Fortress America was an all against one kind of game.

This is just the coolest news.

Always wanted to play this. Very cool concept and theme.

I have regretted giving away my copy of the original FA to my college game club back in the mid 90's, specifically since they turned around and sold the thing on eBay two years later to buy frakking video games! But to see it come back, with the FFG treatment, is something I'm excited about. Sadly, when I shared this news with a group of our store's regulars, they were all "what game?" ARRGH!

Now if we can just get the Avalon Hill Civilzation game and Circus Imperium back again, I'll be in geek heaven.

The sculpts and cards look sweet. The map isn't as colorful as it could have been, but not a big deal. I still remember my buddy humming Flight of the Valkyrie with the helicopters during setup.

Having "classic" gameplay and having new options are sweet. Just like Nexus Ops and Cosmic Encounter.

This could be one of my new favorites ever.

Thanks FFG- you done good.

W.O.W.

I remember playing this game from the MB series and loved it! If this version plays as well as the original, I'll be getting this asap!

©2012? So, has it been released yet? Or sometime next year?

I remember the original had a few expansions, too. I wonder if they're already in the box. I don't remember how many figures were in the first box, but I really don't think it was in the hundreds.

I'm glad they contacted the original designer and that Kevin Wilson is working it. The dude is awesome. His Arkham reworking is a modern classic.

Makes me think if they can get 300+ figures in a $80 box, maybe a new BattleLore someday?

These kind of announcements, along with Merchants of Venus and Nexus Ops make me wonder what else they may be working on.

Like maybe Dark Tower?

assuming FFG doesn't complicate the rules too much compared to the original, would this be a seige-type game more accessible to casual gamers than Horus Heresy or Stronghold? i.e. 'lighter'

zombiemailman said:

W.O.W.

I remember playing this game from the MB series and loved it! If this version plays as well as the original, I'll be getting this asap!

Picked up the MB version of this at a yard sale for a few bucks a couple of summers ago. Looking forward to the FFG treatment.

Artemus Maximus said:

assuming FFG doesn't complicate the rules too much compared to the original, would this be a seige-type game more accessible to casual gamers than Horus Heresy or Stronghold? i.e. 'lighter'

I don't know Stronghold, but yes, FA definitely is lighter than Horus Heresy.

Now if only can get a copy sent to New Zealand without selling my Gran!

For sure! Must have this!!