battlelore or battles of westeros

By walkinstube, in Battlelore

I want to buy one of these games and I dont know which is better (i would buy battlelore off ebay so thats not a problem.

Battlelore is a cooler game I think because it's more like Memoir 44.

Battlelore. Why are you asking on Battlelore forum?

We are all hardcores here ;-)

I have both and I prefer Battles of Westeros personally, but I do also like the Lore cards in Battlelore which add an extra dimension to what migth otherwise be a standard C&C type-game.

If you want fantasy elements (magic, creatures, other races), go with Battlelore. Also, Battlelore utilizes a more C&C-esque system, with three "wings" where issues are ordered. In BoW, those wings don't exist, and you order troops all over the board.

Battles of westeros had way too much token management for me. It seemed like I was constantly collecting tokens putting tokes on the board switching tokens around on the board flipping fiddly flags back and forth collecting tokens from token pools and putting tokens back in the token pools.

Also the card play in battles of westeros isn't very exciting. You pretty much know what your opponent can do. He can order 2 to 3 unactivated units around his leaders. Were as in battlelore it is much more exciting not knowing exactly what your opponent can do. Also the hand management is much more fun in battlelore. If you want to build up for a big attack in the center you might have to engage in skirmishes on the flanks while you build up your center cards.

Some people do not like the randomness that the cards provide I on the other hand very much enjoy the replayability the command cards give to each scenario. And as long as you manage your hand well the luck of the cards doesn't usually effect you negatively.