Rules Interpretation help

By jhagen, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

Just had a 6 player game this past weekend:

i was Martell and had a special (*) consolidate token in a castle where i was attacked by Tyrell.

he played his house (4) card where a footman is destroyed. and i had played my house card that i had lost the battle, noone was allowed to occupy the space. i still had to retreat.

I was then left with a consolidate token in a territory that had neither a power token or a unit in it.

here are the interpretation questions:

1.- Can my consolidate power token resolve?

2.- Could I have left a power token in the territory i left because of that retreat.

Tyrell has a house (4) card that instantly destroys a footman. what would happen if that footman was alone in the embattled area when tyrell attacked and LOST the battle? (Referenced in example on page 20 step 5 of the rulebook)

3.- would the territory be then considered vacant and all support orders cancelled?

4.- what if the attack from tyrell was unsuccessful? would a token there be allowed to resolve? (consolidate, march)

here were my answers:

1. - In the interest of time we allowed the consolidate token to resolve because a token cannot be placed in regions without units on them. and since the token was mine i resolved a muster and returned the footman to the castle. page 21 step 4 implies there are opposing armies in the territory.

2. - Assigning power tokens to regions are on pg. 24 of the rulebook and only reference marching orders. there is mention of NEGATIVE events. but my house card would be considered a POSITIVE one. we did not do anything because i had no power tokens at the time and so the point was moot.

3.- have no idea. what do you all think?

4.- once again, no idea. in this situation we would have a house order token on a space with no power token or unit.

feel free to post your replies.

I don't have the rulebook in front of me right now, but I believe under the "Clean-Up phase" (p.21 or something like that) all order and power tokens of the losing defender are removed. Regardless of whether the attacker gets to enter the embattled area. Clean-up happens after retreat, so leaving a power token as you retreat becomes a moot point. It's removed afterwards either way.

If a house card removes a unit from the area during battle, I wouldn't cancel all the support orders. You just adjust your combat value for this battle. The battle would still be resolved as normal. I don't know if there is an explicit rule for it, but it also doesn't say that combat is cancelled, if the defender should lose his unit(s) due to a house card effect.

jhagen said:

Just had a 6 player game this past weekend:

i was Martell and had a special (*) consolidate token in a castle where i was attacked by Tyrell.

he played his house (4) card where a footman is destroyed. and i had played my house card that i had lost the battle, noone was allowed to occupy the space. i still had to retreat.

I was then left with a consolidate token in a territory that had neither a power token or a unit in it.

here are the interpretation questions:

1.- Can my consolidate power token resolve?

2.- Could I have left a power token in the territory i left because of that retreat.

Tyrell has a house (4) card that instantly destroys a footman. what would happen if that footman was alone in the embattled area when tyrell attacked and LOST the battle? (Referenced in example on page 20 step 5 of the rulebook)

3.- would the territory be then considered vacant and all support orders cancelled?

4.- what if the attack from tyrell was unsuccessful? would a token there be allowed to resolve? (consolidate, march)

Sorry but i'm french...

1. No, you're consolidate token can't resolve : You lose the battle, so according page 21, 4.clean up "If the combat was won by the attacker, remove any Order token the defender had assigned to the embattled area (if one remains) as well as any Power token in the area (which would exist if the defending
player had previously established control there, see page 24)"

If there was a power token in the area, it remains because the opponet hasn't take the control of the area. P.24 : " A Power token on the game board is returned to the Power Pool only after an opponent takes control of its area. "

2. No, you only can left a power token on a area after one on your a March Orders. p.24 : "Important: A player may only establish control when vacating
an area with a March Order. Events that would leave an area vacant (such as negative effects from a Wildling victory) does not permit a player to establish control after the last unit is destroyed."

3 & 4 : Mace instantly kill the last troop : there's no battle, he can enter the area without fight. The House Cards are discarded.