Entropy Beast vs. Destiny Need Help On Which Comes First.

By YeagerBomb, in Cosmic Encounter

Hey guys, didn't find this specific topic on the forums yet, and me and my friends are having a surprisingly tough time deciding how to judge this specific instance in the Cosmic Encounter game.

First, let me define the two cards in which this scenario bases on.

Hazard Deck: Entropy Beast

While the Entropy Beast is in play, each time a special or wild destiny card is drawn, remove the planet with the most ships on it from the game (offense breaks ties), sending all ships on it to the warp. If a player's home system is reduced below three planets, all players lose the game. Discard the Cosmic Guardian and the Witness when the Entropy Beast enters play. [Remains in Play]

Destiny Deck: Special

Have an encounter with the player who has the fewest ships in the warp (other than you). In the event of a tie, to your left. The encounter takes place in the other player's home system.

In a recent game, while the Entropy Beast was in play, this special card was drawn and a debate initiated as to when the value (who has the fewest ships in the warp) of the destiny card is defined.

My take on the situation:

I believe it's pretty simple. Drawing any Special Destiny or Wild Destiny card instantly triggers the Entropy Best. Then, after the Entropy Beast resolves, the Special Destiny's value is determined.

My roommate's take on the situation:

Since the rule book states that the special destiny's value is given when the card is drawn, the value is defined first and stays the same despite the outcome of the Entropy Beast.

My buddy's (lets call him Pat) take on the situation:

The value of the Special Destiny is defined initially when it is drawn. But because the Entropy Beast still activates in the Destiny Phase, the value of the destiny card actually changes. Therefore, when the launch phase is initiated, the Hyperspace Gate is pointed at the current value of the Special Destiny.

in situations like this i just take the cards as literally as possible... nowhere on the card does it say "set a value immediately that cannot change for the rest of this encounter", so I'd side with your buddy Pat... by the time you are getting ready to aim the hyperspace cone at the proper system, you evaluate who has the most ships in the warp at that moment (end of destiny phase)

I think I'd resolve the Hazard first, but I can see groups deciding to do it the other way.

Entropy Beast does not require the determination of a specific player before executing. Take care of Entropy Beast, and then follow the instructions for the Destiny card.