So I was just watching The Thing again...

By The Message, in Fan Creations

And I simply had to incorporate it into AH. Thus, I sat down to create a GOO, 2 new monsters, a new difficulty setting and a new deck of cards which relates to the others.

Ok, first up is The Thing GOO.

thethingfrontsidewh4.th.jpg

Here is the text:

<fullname> is not worshipped. Instead, treat Cultists as assimilated people. If an investigator fails a Combat Check against a Cultist, they draw a card from the Thing deck.

Many: At the end of each Mythos Phase, the First Player draws a card from the Thing deck.

Start of Battle: Each investigator loses 1 Sanity.

Each investigator must pass a <b>Speed (+2) check</b> or lose 2< >Stamina. This check's modifier decreases by 2 each turn.

Instead of making a check, an investigator may reveal a 'Assimilated' Thing Card. If they do so, remove them from the combat and decrease The Thing's combat modifier by 2.

Basically, there is a constant chance that you will draw from the Thing deck, which has these two cards:

humanfrontsideol9.th.jpg

assimilatedfrontsideij2.th.jpg

and the backs:

humanbacksidejr2.th.jpg

This would form a 30 card deck, with 15 of each card. When you draw cards, you keep them private, thus nobody really knows who is still human and who is now a 'thing'. This can have some interesting synergy with this:

paranoidalliesfrontsidebs5.th.jpg

Basically this difficulty card enables Playet vs. Player combat, with deadly results. But because you never know for sure whether or not your target is actually an enemy, this should create an interesting psychological aspect to the game. This card could actually be applied to other scenarios with no modification, but currently it only has benefit with the Thing deck and Joining The Winning Team.

Here is the text:

<b>Movement Phase:</b> Investigators may attack one another if at the same Location. The attacking investigator makes a <b>Combat check</b> with a difficulty equal to the target's current unmodified Fight skill. Each success removes one Stamina from the target, and if this results in Unconsciousness that investigator is Devoured instead. If you fail your check, the target may immediately attack you for free.

Additionally, you must make a <b>Sanity check</b> to gain any Allies. If you fail, they are returned to the box.

Finally, we have two new monsters:

dogmonsterfrontsideep4.th.jpg

dogmonsterbacksideoo7.th.jpg

The first one enters play as the first Gate monster and serves as a way to get things started with urgency and possibilities for Thing Cards.

The Text:

When the first Gate opens in the game, place this monster at that Location instead of drawing a monster randomly.

At the end of each Mythos Phase (Other than the one in which this creature came into play), add a Doom Token to the track.

If you fail a combat check or a horror check against a <fullname>, draw a Thing card.

morphicabominationfrontby9.th.jpg

morphicabominationbacksbq0.th.jpg

This monster is different in that it enters play when an Assimilated player is confronted. Then, assuming it survives the initial confrontation, that player moves it during each mythos phase (It has no gate symbol).

The text:

When an investigator with an Assimilated card is attacked, they may choose to be Devoured and put one Morphic Abomination into play at their current Location.

During each Mythos Phase, the player that put this creature into play may choose where it moves.

If an investigator fails a combat check against this monster, they must draw a Thing card. If an investigator is knocked Unconscious by this monster, they are Devoured and a Doom Token is added to the track.

And there you go, my mini-variant based on The Thing. I know I didn't fully capture the 'who is actually a monster' vibe perfectly, but I think it does change things up significantly from the base game.

You can download a zip with all the files here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/x4zwk9

Hope you like it! Let me know what ye think.

Sounds cool...I was thinking about making The Thing...great movie...btw wish I could see the cards llorando.gif

ps this would only really be fun with a large group ie no one playing more than one investigator!

This homebrew variant seems like a good way to capture the paranoia of the movie, thanks!

The one thing I did not understand is the Paranoid Allies card; can you explain how it gets used again? Also the .zip file contained a corrupted version of that card, would it be possible to get a copy of the .eon file from you for that card? My email is [email protected]

Thanks

Dave

The Message said:

This would form a 30 card deck, with 15 of each card. When you draw cards, you keep them private, thus nobody really knows who is still human and who is now a 'thing'. This can have some interesting synergy with this:

Basically this difficulty card enables Playet vs. Player combat, with deadly results. But because you never know for sure whether or not your target is actually an enemy, this should create an interesting psychological aspect to the game. This card could actually be applied to other scenarios with no modification, but currently it only has benefit with the Thing deck and Joining The Winning Team.

Here is the text:

<b>Movement Phase:</b> Investigators may attack one another if at the same Location. The attacking investigator makes a <b>Combat check</b> with a difficulty equal to the target's current unmodified Fight skill. Each success removes one Stamina from the target, and if this results in Unconsciousness that investigator is Devoured instead. If you fail your check, the target may immediately attack you for free.

Additionally, you must make a <b>Sanity check</b> to gain any Allies. If you fail, they are returned to the box.

Prince0DC said:

This homebrew variant seems like a good way to capture the paranoia of the movie, thanks!

The one thing I did not understand is the Paranoid Allies card; can you explain how it gets used again? Also the .zip file contained a corrupted version of that card, would it be possible to get a copy of the .eon file from you for that card? My email is [email protected]

Thanks

Dave

The Message said:

Here is the text:

Sure thing. During your investigator's movement, if at the same Location as another investigator you may make a Combat check against them with a difficulty equal to their current unmodified Fight (So if you try and attack someone whose Fight skill currently 3, ignoring items and other effects, the check would be -3). Then, for each success you roll, you remove one Stamina from them and if this would knock them unconscious they are instead Devoured. Finally, if you fail your check, they may immediately make a check against you with all the same rules.

Finally, the part about allies is totally seperate and should technically read Any Phase.

MrsGamura, why can't you see the cards? I still haven't figured out how to make pictures show up on this forum, but you can follow the links or just download the .eon files.

The Message said:

MrsGamura, why can't you see the cards? I still haven't figured out how to make pictures show up on this forum, but you can follow the links or just download the .eon files.

When uploading, use the direct web address, not one that says "use this link for posting in forums" or the like. Then in this forum's editor, click the "insert/edit picture" button. Paste the image's web address in the URL field and click OK. If your picture still doesn't show up it is because these forum's don't seem to like the way some imagehosts use php, try a different imagehost.

Now, as for the actual cards....

The only thing missing is an rh test kit. Should be a common item, maybe 3 or 4 of them in the deck. Text something like this:

Movement: Discard RH Test Kit to make an investigator at your location turn their The Thing card face up. If they are human, this card remains face up until they draw another The Thing card. If they are assimilated they are immediately devoured and must place a Morphic Abomination monster at their location.

thorgrim said:

The Message said:

When uploading, use the direct web address, not one that says "use this link for posting in forums" or the like. Then in this forum's editor, click the "insert/edit picture" button. Paste the image's web address in the URL field and click OK. If your picture still doesn't show up it is because these forum's don't seem to like the way some imagehosts use php, try a different imagehost.

Now, as for the actual cards....

The only thing missing is an rh test kit. Should be a common item, maybe 3 or 4 of them in the deck. Text something like this:

Movement: Discard RH Test Kit to make an investigator at your location turn their The Thing card face up. If they are human, this card remains face up until they draw another The Thing card. If they are assimilated they are immediately devoured and must place a Morphic Abomination monster at their location.

Thank you, I shall try that next time.

Y'know, I didn't even think of that as an item. I like it, very thematic and useful. That said, I think I'm going to leave it out of my personal set (Obviously you could make one should you want it) just because it makes things harder for the human investigators to tell who is still on their side, thus forcing attacks to be made without absolute certainty that it's a good idea (Unless you want a more difficult Final Battle).

What am I doing wrong? I've cut and paste the url into my address bar but am told the image can not be found.

Is there anyway you could just post the link without the "not needed extra bits"? The Thing AO is itty bitty the size of my thumb nail! lol its so little a cute!!

NM I just downloaded it but the paranoid ally didn't work.

MrsGamura said:

Is there anyway you could just post the link without the "not needed extra bits"? The Thing AO is itty bitty the size of my thumb nail! lol its so little a cute!!

NM I just downloaded it but the paranoid ally didn't work.

Paranoid Allies should be working correctly if you downloaded the .eon file. Do you have the latest version of SE? The difficulty cards were just added, along with the other BGoTW formats.

Thanks for the clairification on the rules; but I still can not the ther .eon file of "Paranoid Allies"; I can get the .jpg you posted but the .eon file in the .zip archive that you posted is corrupted. Can you re-post the file or send it directly to me? [email protected]

Thanks

The Message said:

Prince0DC said:

Thanks

Dave

The Message said:

Here is the text:

Sure thing. During your investigator's movement, if at the same Location as another investigator you may make a Combat check against them with a difficulty equal to their current unmodified Fight (So if you try and attack someone whose Fight skill currently 3, ignoring items and other effects, the check would be -3). Then, for each success you roll, you remove one Stamina from them and if this would knock them unconscious they are instead Devoured. Finally, if you fail your check, they may immediately make a check against you with all the same rules.

Finally, the part about allies is totally seperate and should technically read Any Phase.

The Message said:

Here you go, just Paranoid Allies. If it's still corrupted, let me know.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/g65n52

I'm having the same problem with the Paranoid Allies file (including the new one). I keep getting the message "this does not appear to be a Strange Eons file".

I like the rest of the work you've done on this expansion but I was wondering if you'd thought about having The Thing be a Herald rather than a GOO? It could even be used in the same was as the Dunwich Horror .

The GIT! said:

The Message said:

Here you go, just Paranoid Allies. If it's still corrupted, let me know.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/g65n52

Hi

I'm having the same problem with the Paranoid Allies file (including the new one). I keep getting the message "this does not appear to be a Strange Eons file".

I like the rest of the work you've done on this expansion but I was wondering if you'd thought about having The Thing be a Herald rather than a GOO? It could even be used in the same was as the Dunwich Horror .

Ok, I'm going to remake that card and post it soon (Most likely before the weekend, and I might get to it tonight). On a similar note, Assimilated is having issues for me now. Does anyone else have problems loading that card? If so I can recreate it as well.

The Thing could easily be implemented as a Herald, but at the time I was thinking more of keeping it the cental threat. I may make a Herald version if you really want one, but it wouldn't be too hard to do yourself. I had thought of a Blair Herald, but it seemed too specific (Not to mention being from a different decade).

Sorry, I'm still having problems. I downloaded the .eon file and it was not readable by the Strange Eons program. I'll look for your re-post.

Dave

The Message said:

Ok, I'm going to remake that card ( Paranoid Allies ) and post it soon (Most likely before the weekend, and I might get to it tonight). On a similar note, Assimilated is having issues for me now. Does anyone else have problems loading that card? If so I can recreate it as well.

The Thing could easily be implemented as a Herald, but at the time I was thinking more of keeping it the cental threat. I may make a Herald version if you really want one, but it wouldn't be too hard to do yourself. I had thought of a Blair Herald, but it seemed too specific (Not to mention being from a different decade).

Assimilated

As for a Thing Herald I'd really like to see your take on so, if you could run one up, I'd like to see it. As I mentioned in my post I'm also giving some thought to using The Dunwich Horror dynamics for The Thing (which would allow random cards to be used to determine the nature of The Thing when it finally monsters out). I'll see what I can come up with.

Once again great job.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gmqylv

Here is the 'new' Paranoid Allies card. It should work, but so should the last one, so if not, I'm stumped. I'm slowly working on the herald (Actually, two versions), but it should be ready either later tonight or tomorrow.