Gallows house rules

By Emirikol, in WFRP House Rules

dl.dropbox.com/u/18244050/House%20rules.pdf

I was just stealing ideas from your house rulebook, and had a question:

Eliminating fortune characteristic dice and "auto challenge" on the active defense: How has this affected your game and what was your intention?

How is this affecting advancements in the Fortune dice area? (e.g commoner..what do you do with the 3+ advance options)

I'll probably have more questions later.

jh

Our intention was to make defense a bit more solid. We have tried a lot of different things, from adding black dice for weapon skill etc. This however is fairly simple and served the game well, because the defense cards are better, especially when fighting multiple foes (because you can only get one auto challenge on one attack no matter how many defense cards you put in).

Removing the fortune dice was something I did right from the start because I found the dice pools were big enough and if anything, the fortune dice for characteristics meant that the incentive to improve characteristics were less. But mainly I could see players having tons of white dice in their pools from characteristic fortune dice and I didn't want that. It was just another small thing to controll the success rate.

I haven't made any rules for using the fortune advancements of careers on something else, but so far it hasn't been an issue.

The thing I like about the fortune die to characteristics is when it comes to character concepts. Sometmes you have a character in mind that you do not feel would have 4 intelligence, but you do feel he would be slightly above average . So having that 1 fortune die on his intelligence gives it that feeling. Anything beyond that is too much. I would not allow every stat having a fortune die next to it, or any stat having more than 1.

I entertained the idea that you would get fortune dice temporarily as you put points into a stat progressing it to the next stage. For example:

A player wants to build his characters strength from 3 to 4, this will cost him 4 points

He invests 1 point and gets a fortune die

When he gets to 3 points he has 2 fortune die

and finally at the 4th point, the 2 fortune dice would go away and he would have his 4 characteristic die.

Romus said:

The thing I like about the fortune die to characteristics is when it comes to character concepts. Sometmes you have a character in mind that you do not feel would have 4 intelligence, but you do feel he would be slightly above average . So having that 1 fortune die on his intelligence gives it that feeling. Anything beyond that is too much. I would not allow every stat having a fortune die next to it, or any stat having more than 1.

I entertained the idea that you would get fortune dice temporarily as you put points into a stat progressing it to the next stage. For example:

A player wants to build his characters strength from 3 to 4, this will cost him 4 points

He invests 1 point and gets a fortune die

When he gets to 3 points he has 2 fortune die

and finally at the 4th point, the 2 fortune dice would go away and he would have his 4 characteristic die.

That I do like. That you can pay half the exp for a stat point and then get a single fortune die and then play the rest to change it to a characteristic die.

Gallows said:

Our intention was to make defense a bit more solid. We have tried a lot of different things, from adding black dice for weapon skill etc. This however is fairly simple and served the game well, because the defense cards are better, especially when fighting multiple foes (because you can only get one auto challenge on one attack no matter how many defense cards you put in).

Removing the fortune dice was something I did right from the start because I found the dice pools were big enough and if anything, the fortune dice for characteristics meant that the incentive to improve characteristics were less. But mainly I could see players having tons of white dice in their pools from characteristic fortune dice and I didn't want that. It was just another small thing to controll the success rate.

I haven't made any rules for using the fortune advancements of careers on something else, but so far it hasn't been an issue.

I did the same, and houseruled that each fortune advancement allows character to stock 1 more fortune points per session… And pcs start with 1 not 3.