Civilization Bonuses

By gramis, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Hi guys,

Me and my friends have a question about the bonuses of German and Egyptian civilization. They say that after the relative tech search they can use a city action to build a free unit or a free building. This building/unit can be built more times? and how it's the right sequence to use this action? there are differences between Egyptian and German bonuses?

We need HELP!!

They are two different things, and actually quite simple.

Egyptians: During their City Management phase, they can use one of the city actions to build any unlocked building (building they have on a tech card in front of them) for free, ignoring production cost (but still adhering to the placement rules).

Germans : During the Research phase (at the end of the turn), if the Germans research a tech that has a unit upgrade icon in the lower left corner, they immediately build a unit of that type for free (i.e. takes a card from the correctly coloured pile and adds it to their standing forces.) Note that they do this even if they do not really upgrade their unit type: for instance, the Germans already have level three infantry. If they later research level two infantry, they still take the top infantry (red) and adds it to their standing forces.

I hope this clears things out, otherwise feel free to send me a personal message.

... And apparently FFG's forums do not support personal messages, so any further questions should just be posted in this thread ;-)

So the Egyptian can use this ability more times (once per turn) for a building searched right?

And if i had understand the Germany use the ability for ALL serached units during the tech phase (the end of turn)

Egyptians : If I understand your question correctly, yes they can do it each turn, for a single city, as a city action, and they can select a building they have already build in a previous turn. Think of it as if the ability read "Once per turn, when building a building in one of your cities, the production cost is 0".

Germans : As you can only research a single tech at the end of turn, you can only ever get a single unit each turn. Therefore, I do not understand your question. It is everytime the Germans acquire a tech with a unit upgrade icon in the lower left corner.

Gregaria said:

Egyptians : If I understand your question correctly, yes they can do it each turn, for a single city, as a city action, and they can select a building they have already build in a previous turn. Think of it as if the ability read "Once per turn, when building a building in one of your cities, the production cost is 0".

Germans : As you can only research a single tech at the end of turn, you can only ever get a single unit each turn. Therefore, I do not understand your question. It is everytime the Germans acquire a tech with a unit upgrade icon in the lower left corner.

Also note that the Germans get a new unit when researching a lower level unit upgrade that they already have.
Example : Germans research rank 3 infantry (musketmen with the tech Gunpowder if i recall correctly) and thus get an infantry unit card that will use the rank 3 side in future battles. The next turn, Germany research rank 2 infantry (pikemen with the tech Democracy if i recall corectly). Germany still get to take an infantry unit card and will use the rank 3 side in future battles with it.

Fnoffen said:

Gregaria said:

Also note that the Germans get a new unit when researching a lower level unit upgrade that they already have.
Example : Germans research rank 3 infantry (musketmen with the tech Gunpowder if i recall correctly) and thus get an infantry unit card that will use the rank 3 side in future battles. The next turn, Germany research rank 2 infantry (pikemen with the tech Democracy if i recall corectly). Germany still get to take an infantry unit card and will use the rank 3 side in future battles with it.

As I wrote in my first reply gui%C3%B1o.gif

Didn't mean to doublepost. I scrolled too quickly...

I would just like to help clarify the Egyptian ability, by taking it to as simple as I have had to for some people I have played with.

During the City Management phase of the turn, Egypt may select any one city they own that is using production to build a building, to instead build the building for free.
This may be used every turn, but for only one city per turn.

Now, for the sticky part.
Are wonders buildings?

On a read through of the rules, there are two things to consider:

1) wonders are not merged with buildings, when something applies to both building and wonders, both are mentioned. ie: overbuilding.

2) wonders are built through the same city action as buildings... and figures and units.

Based on that, my group has been treating wonders as not buildings, and therefore Egypt may not free-build a wonder.
Egpyt must build wonders in the same way as all other civilizations... find a way to generate enough production at one city to afford the wonder desired.