necrons as minions

By htsmithium, in Black Crusade Game Masters

a little back story is in order, i have been asked to run a one time BC demo that is not broken chains. so i am going to have the players hunt down a person that knows the location of a shattered tomb world( got hit by an astroid or some thing) what makes this knowledge so important is that there is a working biotransferince device somewhere on the world and said guy( will get name latter ) can make it work. this gets deminstrated by the heritics being thrown in at the end... ;)

this got me thinking could the minion rules be used to create a sort of proto-necron? since most of the place is wreaked the phase out and self repair functions would not work, but other than that what would you guys do? or is this idea a bit too out there?

Quite out there but still a heretek steeped in lore could try put people's mind's into a machine body and is possible, the necron bit is the really weird bit but if they somehow managed to get their hands on necron tech. I'd personally make it clear that they are inspired by the necrons after discovering some small bit of their history.

Chaos forces used to have Chaos Androids which were androids but with daemon's bound into them so maybe the mad scientist could be inspired by that too or have one of them as a minion.

Gaius said:

Quite out there but still a heretek steeped in lore could try put people's mind's into a machine body and is possible, the necron bit is the really weird bit but if they somehow managed to get their hands on necron tech. I'd personally make it clear that they are inspired by the necrons after discovering some small bit of their history.

Chaos forces used to have Chaos Androids which were androids but with daemon's bound into them so maybe the mad scientist could be inspired by that too or have one of them as a minion.

I draw your attention to the Ultramarines Omnibus. Pasanius's cybernetic arm was possibly a morsel of the C'Tan Nightbringer. Later, Honsou had it attached to his arm instead. It seems to be able to take damage and regenerate. All things are possible. But Necron tech would probably be very rare if not easy to get.

It is said that Necrons Pariahs are actually blanks - humans with the pariah gene inbred that null psychic abilities enslaved to the will of the necrons and encased in Necrodermis. How did the Necrons breed the Pariah gene into humanity's DNA and how do they enslave said blank into Necrodermis.

Maybe something you might want to consider. It is rumoured that the void dragon being a necron C'tan entity slumbers below the vaults of Mars. Perhaps the adeptus mechanicus may have a part in this and the dark mechanicus could help you with your necron experiment. Hope this suggestion helps you.

Step 1: Find Trazyn the Infinite.

Step 2: Give him something valuable, and convince him you can give him more nice things if he's willing to share his resources.

Step 3: Ask for a Warrior bodyguard as a token of your cooperation

Step 4: Enjoy having your 100% bona fide Necron Minion!

Side effects may include paranoia and/or being trapped in a multidimensional maze for all eternity.

Morangias said:

Step 1: Find Trazyn the Infinite.

Step 2: Give him something valuable, and convince him you can give him more nice things if he's willing to share his resources.

Step 3: Ask for a Warrior bodyguard as a token of your cooperation

Step 4: Enjoy having your 100% bona fide Necron Minion!

Side effects may include paranoia and/or being trapped in a multidimensional maze for all eternity.

Step 5: ??????

Step 6: Profit

Step 7: FOR KAAAOOSSS!!!

The OP title brought to mind that horrible, horrible Battlestar Galactica story arc with Starbuck stranded on a planet with a Cylon. Or Buck Rogers and Twikki.

(shudders)

I'm probably a bit of a ***** but I wouldn't allow a Necron minion due to the fact that these are kind of as much anti-Chaos as you can be. Likewise I wouldn't allow someone to keep a Tyranid as a pet. Tyranids and Necrons are both big trouble for Chaos and everyone and nothing else.

I'm probably a bit of a ***** but I wouldn't allow a Necron minion due to the fact that these are kind of as much anti-Chaos as you can be. Likewise I wouldn't allow someone to keep a Tyranid as a pet. Tyranids and Necrons are both big trouble for Chaos and everyone and nothing else.

I agree, from my point of view (prefereing the old necron codex) it is simply not possible to do.. they Phase out ALWAYS.

Maybe one could allow my players to get something like regenating things, or something fancy (no weapons though). But i would it come back to haunt them till they curse the day they even got the idea.

The new Necron, i believe that it is said they are too damaged to phase out, they go boom. Even if they mannage to make someone undergo the biotranferance, they won't be able to write the necron programing in that way make more enemies.. Which i don't think the chaos approves of...

Maybe the necron minion could have the knowledge to make more necron minions, I'm sure nothing would go wrong there. :rolleyes:

IIRC, in Dark Crusade the Necron campaign narrator was a sentient Pariah, which had been thoroughly indoctrinated into the 'end all life' mindset. It was a near-unique occurence I believe, but the precedent is set- if you accept DoW as semi-canon, and bear in mind that the canonicity of all things varies from game to game and writer to writer (burn Ward).

If one of your players were to find- or create- such an entity as that Pariah, AND were renegade without being allied to Chaos- by which I mean never dedicating anything to a Dark God or performing rituals or being anything with a psy rating- I could see such a thing as a Necron minion.

The important thing to remember is that while Chaos is all-pervading among renegades, not all renegades are allied to Chaos. Look at Xanthite inquisitors (Eisenhorn especially) or more famous Night Lords such as Zho Sahaal and the Prophet. Also consider the example of the Alpha Legion at the time of the Heresy- they aligned with Horus out of loyalty to the Emperor's ideals (whether they have remained true to their original purpose is up to debate, and may vary from warband to warband).

It is also important to remember that being 'aligned' to one of the four Powers does not necessarily mean that you revere or pay homage to that power. It just means that you happen to live your life in accordance with that powers wishes, and so its essence fills you more readily- in the Soul Hunter sage there is a 'Khornate' Night Lord who shouts things like 'Blood and skulls,' but he never actually reveres Khorne- to him, Chaos is just another tool or weapon.

The point I'm driving at is that utilizing Necrons may be possible for a renegade, but it pretty much puts every Chaos-aligned faction diametrically opposed to you quite naturally. Which is not to say that you won't attract the interest of the Dark Mechanicus, radical Ordo Xenos inquisitors or the Eldar.

As a GM, I'd actually see Necron minions as a fantastic plot hook and way to screw with the players.