Why play Napoleon?

By player781234, in Battles of Napoleon

Please tell what makes this game "DA BOMB"...

It's looking like this game is in trouble, as Nexus has gone under, from info gathered in other threads in this forum.

FFG was just the US distributor for the game, which was published by Nexus, the same company that did Wings of War. Ares games has picked up the Wings of war game and is taking it over as Wings of Glory, maybe FFG will be the US distributor for Ares?

I was following this game and saw that there was some kind of issue with the cards when it came out, now with Nexus biting the dust, this game could be in real trouble. I'll hold off until I see if someone steps in and takes over on it. Like I said, Ares picked up Wings of War, but they won't get the new stuff for that going again until early next year.

If nobody's picked up this game, then at best it's going to be out of commission for some time.

RAF1945 said:

Hi RAF 1945,

My point of view is that this game is a good game to start playing Napoleon period with figures.

Relatively easy to learn, good for beginners and for grognards (even if some points in the rules are still dark).

The material is really cool : Mapboards in thick cardboard and old fashioned type, nice figures (Italeri type), nice markers, ...

The game system is interesting, based on command links and order dispatch. It's fast to play and you don't have to wait hours than your opponent finishes his moves, ...

That's more a general feeling but I like to play this game and I'm not the only one in my club.

Cheers !!

Olivier

This game is a streamlined miniatures game and because combat is the result of a modified dice roll combined with cross reference to randomly drawn cards the outcome is always uncertain. I am amazed by how this game captures the struggle of combat. It is quite possible for both sides to be at the very brim of victory, struggling to get that moment of luck or brilliance to push one side over to victory. This really is an amazing game. I am not even into this period, but even with its high price I would buy expansions to it. A lot of thought went into the development of this game.

RAF1945 said:

It plays fast, is surprisingly deep and accurate. The initiative and orders system is simply brilliant.

There are even subtle national differences to the two armies presented in the game.

It is clearly designed with expansions and additional rules in mind. I hope someone picks up the ball.

Thank you all... I'm buying it... I read the rule book and it is "DA BOMB"!