Devine Retribution and Dark Charm

By Jonny WS, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

If the Overlord controls a hero through dark charm, attacks and kills a hero with Divine Retribution, does the Divine Retribution trigger and kill all Enemy figures? (including the hero that was dark charmed)

I believe the answer was yes to that one. Only lingering effects such as burn, or traps do not set off the effect. If the OL is in control of a hero and lands a killing blow it still counts. However a hero cannot set it off by attacking a friendly hero because the OL must land the killing blow.

add: it does not kill the hero the OL has dark charmed. It also does not affect named monsters.

Yes, the hero making the Dark Charm attack counts an an "enemy figure" for the duration of the attack in question, so he will trigger Divine Retribution and other effects that key off "enemy figures" (he IS NOT a "monster" however, so he still won't trigger things that key off "a monster.") Likewise, the DC'd hero is "friendly" to the OL's figures while making the attack, which means he CAN benefit from things like a master beastman's Command bonus (but he won't benefit from another hero's Command bonus), etc.

Whether or not the DC'd hero himself gets hit by Dark Charm is up for grabs (unless there's a more recent FAQ answer I'm unaware of.) He is an enemy figure, and he certainly has a name, but he's not a monster. So whether or not he counts as a "named monster" is debatable. (I can see legitimate arguments on both sides of that one, so rule however your group pleases.)

Steve-O said:

Whether or not the DC'd hero himself gets hit by Dark Charm is up for grabs (unless there's a more recent FAQ answer I'm unaware of.) He is an enemy figure, and he certainly has a name, but he's not a monster. So whether or not he counts as a "named monster" is debatable. (I can see legitimate arguments on both sides of that one, so rule however your group pleases.)

What is debatable?

He is certainly not a monster, so he cannot possibly be a named monster. Not that this matters...
Divine Retribution is clear - it affects unnamed enemy figures (monsters not being one of the criteria).
When you are killed by an enemy figure, all unnamed enemy figures within 3 spaces of you are immediately killed as well. This ability ignores the Undying ability.

Heroes have names, so will never be affected regardless of friend/enemy distinctions.

And since he is never enemy to himself, killing himself won't trigger Divine Retribution anyway - he wasn't killed by an enemy figure.

But when a DCed hero kills another hero who has DR, the DR is triggered because the DCed hero is temporarily an enemy at the time of the kill. So the DR is triggered and all unnamed figures enemy to the dead hero (not the DCed one) within 3 spaces will die.

Thanks for all the input guys.

This session happened on Sunday when the question came up. I had read the rules for all the abilities and made ruling. Turns out it was the correct ruling.

I just wanted to get opinions from other players. Thanks again.