Chance of CoC LCG in ios format?

By druj, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Hi Everybody,

I love the game but haven't been active in this community. Despite being an avid collector of this game, I've kind of lost interest due to my inability to find players in my area. Now that FFG's Elder Sign game is out on ios, I was wondering how many players out there would like to see an ios version of Cthulhu LCG? I've owned an iPad for a while now and it is perfect for CCG games, though there is a dearth of good ones available to play. If any of you live in a small community like me, usually the only CCG action going on is Magic the Gathering. I think if FFG developed an app version of this game it might give their customers a better opportunity to actually play it with others. I think I'd actually repurchase the base and expansions in digital format if it gave me the opportunity to actually play the game instead of merely enjoying the artwork.

For all I know, this has already been addressed. If not, perhaps those of you that want to see this game made digital can voice your support here. I'm getting tired of playing Shadow Era for my daily CCG fix...

Ray

I'd love to see CoC come out on the iPhone, and would pay any reasonable price for such a thing.

I'm not really sure if it's likely to happen or not, but it would be awesome if it did.

Shadow Era is pretty bland. I like Orions & Orions 2 but it's not really quite the same thing - but at least it does have a lot more flavor.

Shadow Era bland compared to Orions? Really? As far as I know, Orions 1&2 are dead. I've owned them since they first came out and have never seen an update for either. Shadow Era needs a lot of work but at least the developers release new cards every few months to keep things somewhat fresh. In my opinion, SE needs about twice as many cards before it becomes truly interesting. Right now games are fairly predictable as most players lean towards the same strategies.

Thanks for voicing your support for CoC on ios. Maybe if enough people reading this do the same, FFG might consider giving it a go.

I haven't kept up with Shadow Era, maybe things are better now. But when I checked it out (right after launch) all the cards seemed flat and uninteresting. None of them DID anything. My feeling is that Orions is more interesting because pretty much every single "card" (this isn't even a good term to describe them since there's no deck, but I haven't got anything better) has a special ability. Sometimes more than one. That gives them flavor, which at least at the time I looked seemed to be lacking in Shadow Era.

I'm not making any judgements on which one has more of a community, or which one gets updated more, I'm sure Shadow Era wins both of those hands down. I'll download a new copy of Shadow Era and check it out. It's been quite a while, maybe things have gotten better and there are more interesting cards now.

While we're on the general subject, I wish there was an ios version of ElementsTheGame as well. It's a free web based game that despite a relatively small card pool manages to be fairly interesting to play and is fairly CCG-like. It also has an AI which would be great for playing against on the go. I don't know why developers aren't putting out more games like these on the iphone, it feels like a big unfilled niche.

Slightly more off-subject, I'd also like to see Yomi on ios. They've got an AI player too and once again free web based play. Nothing remotely collectible or customizable about it, it's just a pretty cool card game with fixed themed decks.

Found something interesting today...

These guys are building an online TCG engine with iOS and Android versions announced:

http://www.kardfy.com/news-kardfyiscoming.html

More information here as well:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/618241/kardfy-a-new-ccg-engine

So it looks like if this thing gets off the ground it may eventually replace stuff like Lackey. Mobile platforms, and the ability for the engine to understand the rules of the game rather than only acting as a virtual tabletop. Somewhat ambitious, but we'll see how it plays out. They've got a couple of in-house games right now which sort of show proof-of-concept.

Dude, I live in Taiwan, so I feel your pain. There is a big MTG community here, but sadly I'm the only CoC LCG collector/player I know in this entire country.

Thinking about this, if they're going to do it they'll probably do it with Lord of the Rings first. Smaller card pool, and no need for network/multiplayer code to start out with either. Also, it's probably a considerably bigger seller. Makes sense to me.

**** iOS... lets see a version on steam (mac/pc) and PSN/360 .. basically just copy Duels of the Planewalkers by Wizzard... I would buy it and buy every pack again in a digital format like that were I could get acess to more players.

I have zero idea why they do not do this... it is so easy. I wrote a card game digital version of magic with full internet multiplayer as a "fun" project during my collage years... was easy.

You should send them a proposal and your resume. :D I'd love for someone to convince them this was a profitable venture.

ios CoC would be incredible! a godsend for everyone on here who has trouble finding play partners. +1!!!

I would give up one of my kidneys for such a thing…

I would be interested in such a thing as well. If the engine is flexible enough, it could also be a way for FFG to sell online versions of, e.g., Citadels or Rune Age, both of which could reach large audiences. If CoC, LotR, etc. were tacked on, that could expand the audience for the LCGs at the same time.

I personally would prefer something more on the lines of Duels of the Planeswalkers, but the very successful mobile version of Ascension shows that the concept works on mobile devices as well.

I'm living in Brazil, and have the same problem here, no players to play against.

A digital CoC its a great idea, but not so easy to do, bacause is a LCG and every new card will change the game IA.

In these days i'm looking for playes in LACKEY and OCTGN, but without sucess. I'm bought all expansions and AP of

CoC and LOTR, in CoC i'm only read and look to the art cards, very sad. In LOTR i'm play solo games.

Hey guys, let's try some fights in LACKEY or OCTGN, im realy want put my syndicate and agency characters in battlefield against some poor cthulhu ancient one. gran_risa.gif

Tam said:

I haven't contacted FFG about it yet

You might want to do that sometime real soon, they may or may not allow something like this, especially if it's not free.

I applaud the effort, but it's got to get past the lawyers first.

I see no point in contacting them until I have a working application. I'm about three weeks away from my first online test between two iPads.

At the very least I'm sure there will be no problem releasing a classic version that contains the pre-lcg card sets for game of thrones.

If not, I can always restrict usage to my development test group of up to 100 players. Should be plenty of competition for my needs since it is nearly impossible for me to go to tourneys.