Spoilers

By Charlie_X, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

Hey there. Now that my gaming group are into Game of Thrones, I was planning on picking up this board game when second edition comes out, hopefully before we all break for Christmas.

I've read, listened and obsessed over the Ice & Fire series. Four of my fellow game players have done the same, but three are only watching the television show and don't want anything spoiled for them.

Personally, I played the first edition only once, before I even knew what this whole Game of Thrones thing was about, so I forgot every single thing about the game or the setting. Is this going to be a spoiler-heavy board game got those who only have awareness from the TV show. I know there will be characters they aren't aware of and that's fine, that can be a tantalising hint at what's to come. Personally, I'm enough of a **** to have lied about the longevity of some people before and probably will do again, but those are foilers instead of anything else.

I just mean will the art, names or flavour of the cards spoil the events that happen in the series? I had the image of a lead character's head on an AGOT LCG card spoil their death as I was part way through the first book, so I'm a tad skittish about letting the less well-versed players near this.

I don't have an answer, but I am wondering about the same thing. I have read all books, so I am ok, but I guess some people that I will play with will not have read it.

i don't think there are any spoilers....

the board game is just a war among the great houses of westeros

There are a few spoilers, I'd say: You know beforehand which houses are going to be important (at least in the Westeros-area). I don't know about the new house cards, but in the old edition, you could learn something about persons as well (why, for example, is an important Baratheon-person from the first book missing from their set of house cards?). And I don't know about the wildling events.

But still: The spoilers a few and you have to do some guessing. It's much less of a problem than, say, in Battlestar Galactica.

Not played this version yet, but as a general rule with Game of Thrones things (the card game etc.) If you've got to the end of the first series, you know that...

[spoilerS]

...Robert's dead, and there are 5 would-be kings and various other factions all battling each other, then you'll be protected from 95% of the stuff that might come along and surprise you.

If you've got one player who's read everything and is prepared to lie, then I'm sure you'll be able to convince them that any spoilers which do come up are irrelevant little details.

Well apart from the spoiler you mentioned (which is minor in my opinion as it is a very very small part of the story --- just the begining of all) there is no other spoiler