Delayed

By Lizalfos, in Rex: Final Days of an Empire

First they said Christmas at Gencon. Later a press release posted on BGG said November. Now the Upcoming page, which I'm told previously said the game was at the printer, says In Development with a release scheduled for "First Quarter 2012."

Sounds bad. I hope FFG addresses this at some point. After Merchants of Venus, anything could have happened.

Adam said:

First they said Christmas at Gencon. Later a press release posted on BGG said November. Now the Upcoming page, which I'm told previously said the game was at the printer, says In Development with a release scheduled for "First Quarter 2012."

Sounds bad. I hope FFG addresses this at some point. After Merchants of Venus, anything could have happened.

Well, Nexus Ops is scheduled for January of 2012 according to their retialer newsletter, yet Nexus Ops is nowhere to be seen on the upcoming list.

Yet more proof that the upcoming list should always be taken with a grain of salt as it rarely if ever reflects current shipping until FFG have it in their warehouse.

The difference here is that Rex's status was changed and updated, whereas Nexus Ops has simply not been added yet. It doesn't always reflect current status, no, but I also don't expect them to arbitrarily update the status to something false. Considering the game was supposed to come out this month and they still haven't previewed it, I see no reason to doubt the new status.

Well, we're coming up on mid-November with not even a News feed preview item yet. So I'd figure we won't see this until after the first of the year.

Well that's too bad, I'm really looking forward to this one! Wonder if the delay is printing / packaging related or if it's still in playtesting. We really haven't seen much info on Rex yet.

I'd too would love to see an official comment. It seems rather strange for games to take a step BACKWARDS n the progress chart... llorando.gif

Screwup at the printers perhaps? With everything being printed mirror-reversed?

I've got no problem with this. Delay and refine it, throw in a few surprises. I, for one, have a wish list.

Agreed, much rather they take their time and release a great product. I'd still like to see some more previews, so far everything looks amazing!

I also wouldn't mind the delay if it ensured a great product; however, I wish the marketing department would let the customer know what's going on with the delay.

corkysru said:

I'd too would love to see an official comment. It seems rather strange for games to take a step BACKWARDS n the progress chart... llorando.gif

It's not unheard of, though; Starcraft was delayed quite awhile, and if I remember correctly it was in part because the original combat system was completely revamped (I think it was originally going to use transparent cards).

This game's combat system has been ready since 1979. I would hope none of their changes were so bad that they had to pull it from production.

I'm guessing it was a component manufacturing issue. Some plastic bit probably looked great, but proved very troublesome to mold, so it's gone back for a redesign. That alone could mean a delay of a few months...meh.

Poop...I was hoping to get this for Christmas.

Kobold Curry Chef said:

I'm guessing it was a component manufacturing issue. Some plastic bit probably looked great, but proved very troublesome to mold, so it's gone back for a redesign. That alone could mean a delay of a few months...meh.

Yeah, but still. When they had problems with the minis for Mansions of Madness, there was an official announcement on the news page. Rex was announced together with some other games (Nexus Ops, Wiz-war, Merchant of Venus) and they're both delayed / not very well news-supported. We just got one preview for Wiz-war and zero for Nexus, Rex and Merchant. Now, we know that Merchant could have problems because it seemed to be licensed twice to two different factories (FFG and Strongholds), but what about the others?

Second that. Do please try to be more informative towards your customers, FFG.

Too true. What's up? But for the announcement two months ago, infos for this game have been non-exhistent. That's weird..

Julia said:

Yeah, but still. When they had problems with the minis for Mansions of Madness, there was an official announcement on the news page. Rex was announced together with some other games (Nexus Ops, Wiz-war, Merchant of Venus) and they're both delayed / not very well news-supported. We just got one preview for Wiz-war and zero for Nexus, Rex and Merchant. Now, we know that Merchant could have problems because it seemed to be licensed twice to two different factories (FFG and Strongholds), but what about the others?

Nexus Ops actually got a preview, a bit before Wiz-War

I'm guessing they'll come out in this order:

1) Nexus Ops

2) Wiz War

3) Merchant of Venus

4) Rex

NidoKing said:

Nexus Ops actually got a preview, a bit before Wiz-War

Uops, I should have missed it! Thx for notifying me :-) But anyway, nonetheless, some more info would be good

Not sure if I somehow missed this when the Rex page was first revealed, or if they have since updated it, but it was a pleasant surprise to find a picture of part of the board, some cards, and what may be one of the leaders on the home page for the product. That ought to sooth my delay anxieties for awhile. Not really what I was hoping for the board to look like, but it still looks fancy.

Either way, FFG has my money for at least 3 games next year (Rex, Fortress America, and Merchant of Venus).

Though, I may end up buying MoV from two different companies next year.

True. They have my money for at least two: REX and the Civilization expansion. And maybe Rune Age...

Thanks for pointing that out, Adam.

I agree, it's not what I had expected for the board, but I still intend to purchase this game basically no matter what.

Definitely. Nothing will come between me and this game.

If anyone has some means of zooming in and reading the text on the cards or board, a transcription of your findings would not go unrewarded. That is, if you consider a word of thanks a reward.

Thanks in advance.

When I saw that it went sort of backwards in the upcoming page it reminded me of Tide of Iron. FFG took serious whines when at first the minis weren't coming out right and then it was delayed about another 6 months because the map boards were coming out slightly warped.

I don't mind waiting right now. Christmas killed the budget and it will be a little while before I get anything else.