Android app for dice roll probabilities

By argwinkle, in Battles of Westeros

Hi,

I've written a small Android app that displays the basic dice probabilities, because I never could figure out how probable it was to get a certain number of successes, especially for flanking attacks.

Lets you know, for example, that the chance to capture Gregor or Rob with a 5-dice flanking attack is just 6.3%.

Maybe someone else finds it useful, too. It's free (as in free beer).

https://market.android.com/details?id=de.bokeh.arollofdice

I'm happy about any kind of feedback (good or bad).

Regards,

Chris

thank you, those mediocre probabilities to capture robb and gregor explains a lot of ever lasting games around here ;)

Well, "mediocre" is putting it rather mildly. I don't think there is a realistic chance to capture a red commander with capture rating 4. Actually, if you define "mediocre" to be about a 30% chance of success, you would need a 11-dice (28.67%) or 12-dice (35.12%) combined attack.

Because of this, I consider the "reduced strength units" optional rule rather important. Gregor is not that problematic because he is infantry, but for Rob, it helps if he gets only 3 dice to attack.

I still like the rules as they are. Robb as King of the North is a problem for Lannister, but coping with him is part of the fun.

argwinkle said:

Actually, if you define "mediocre" to be about a 30% chance of success, you would need a 11-dice (28.67%) or 12-dice (35.12%) combined attack.

To clarify: that's including valor. If you attack Robb with infantry, make that 22 dice for a chance of 29% happy.gif