Interested but need clarification

By khyron2, in War of the Ring

Hi

I missed out on the Collectors Edition unfortunately. I am really interested in War of the Rings and was wondering if there was another Collectors Edition in the pipeline? I think I read something somewhere about a possible re-print?

If not then I also thought I read somewhere about a second edition being release...

Can someone please clarify this as I don't want to splurge now if I can get an updated edition, or even beter a chance to get a WCE copy.

Thank you,

G

The Collector's Edition will never be reprinted. The Second Edition is being published by Ares Games ( www.aresgames.eu ), and is due out very soon. They are taking pre-orders now.

Thanks for clarifying. Any reason why FFG is no longer doing it. According to the FFG website they still have copies. But then I saw that someone here sold a FFG sealed copy for over $100. Is it in fact no longer available from FFG at all?

Thanks,

G

Nexus Games was the publisher of the original game, and the Collector's Edition. FFG was the North American distributor for Nexus. However, Nexus Games has gone out of business. Ares has since acquired the rights, and will apparently distribute the 2nd Edition itself.

FFG now shows the item as being out of stock.

Does anyone know if the reprint is the same or if it has been modified?

Got my copy of the reprint yesterday and it looks like they have tweaked things from the version FFG was distributing.

A few key game-play related tweaks relating to character abilities and some slight rules changes from what I can tell - but having not played the FFG version I'm not 100% on it.

I was going to ask how compatible the FFG expansion was for the game?

Does anyone know?

Klaen said:

I was going to ask how compatible the FFG expansion was for the game?

Does anyone know?

If you are referring to the Twilight of the Third Age expansion, it is my understanding that it is not compatible with WotR 2E.

The second edition was 'tweaked' to reduce the advantage that the Shadow had over the Free Peoples. The elements introduced in the original expansion did much of the same. Including those elements into a 2E game would swing the balance too far over to the Free Peoples side.

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/744446/combining-wotr-2nd-edition-with-select-items-from

The Twilight of the Third Age expansion is not compatible with the Second Edition because the cards are different sizes. However, if you are the lucky owner of the Collector's Edition, the cards in it are the same size as those of the Second Edition, so you can use your expansion elements from it and integrate them successfully. The expansion should work alright under those circumstances, but the game balance may favor the Free Peoples.

The game balance with the expansion is fine, as long as you use the Collector's Edition rules & cards. For the base game only use the 2nd Edition rules and cards.