Has anyone noticed..?

By Jonny WS, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

The last time I looked at the "Upcoming" page, I saw something interesting.

We all know that the first edition reprints were cancelled when second edition was announced, including Road to Legend.

The thing that I noticed is that all of the LT;s are still being reprinted. Perhaps they can be used in the second edition?

Something else, if you look at the main page for Descent 2nd edition, you will notice that one of the tokens is in fact Sir Alric from Road to Legend.

Certainly lends credence to the idea that the LTs might be included among the figures who will be in the conversion kit, after all.

That also gets me excited, because if the LTs have use in the core box of the 2nd edition, it means the included Campaign system is not only a placeholder for a future, Campaign expansion...

I like that, thinking that we wont need a specific expansion, knowing also that from day 1, the game already is pretty well balanced for a campaign..

And of course, being the completist that I am, makes be very happy to know I can finally complete my collection of 1st Edition.

I have started purchasing the LT minis, which are the only thing (besides the Terrinoth 2011 "paper") that I do not have, related to Descent

Mestre dos Magos said:

That also gets me excited, because if the LTs have use in the core box of the 2nd edition, it means the included Campaign system is not only a placeholder for a future, Campaign expansion...

It was my understanding from the get go that the campaign in 2e would be something akin to the AC from 1e (probably not identical, but on the same level of long-term engagement.) You have to remember that FFG didn't withhold a proper campaign from 1e to use in an expansion - they designed the game with the "vanilla" game mode being the primary intended method of play. Fan outcry later convinced them to expand the game into something it was never intended to be.

With 2e, it looks like they're putting that larger game into the base box and designing the core rules with that kind of game play in mind. There will probably be a shorter "non-campaign" version as well, for those who don't want to spend two months playing a single game, but the point is that the rules will be designed with both in mind and so, hopefully, make both versions a smoother and more enjoyable experience.

FFG may love themselves some expansions, but I haven't known them in the past to deliberately withhold essential elements just to move add-on boxes. They know the Descent crowd wants a serious campaign mode. I never doubted that was exactly what they would aim to give us in the base 2e box.