Scrolls (is Omens different than board game)

By Matt Boehland, in Elder Sign

I heard about how (unlike what the rulebook said) scrolls are meant to be played after the dice are rolled, but while playing Omens, one thing is making me wonder if I'm making a different mistake:

If you fail a mission, as long as the die (dice) aren't used, the dice remain on the scroll card for other players to use right (or you again on a future turn)?

Just making sure since it appears you can't in Omens.

Not that there's not other changes to the game, but they clearly stated all the other changes I can think of.

Side note: Omens was very well done. I look forward and am ready to buy expansions for either/both the card game and the app ^_^

Matt Boehland said:

I heard about how (unlike what the rulebook said) scrolls are meant to be played after the dice are rolled, but while playing Omens, one thing is making me wonder if I'm making a different mistake:

If you fail a mission, as long as the die (dice) aren't used, the dice remain on the scroll card for other players to use right (or you again on a future turn)?

Just making sure since it appears you can't in Omens.

Not that there's not other changes to the game, but they clearly stated all the other changes I can think of.

Side note: Omens was very well done. I look forward and am ready to buy expansions for either/both the card game and the app ^_^

Well, the rulebook for the board game is clear about Spells (BTW, Spells, not Scrolls).

A die may remain on a Spell card for any number of turns
before being used. The active player may always use a die on a
Spell card to complete a task regardless of who played the Spell.

Given the state of the rules, it's little surprise that Omens uses different rules than the board game. After all, the rules as written don't even agree with what the designers have stated as being their intent and in some cases it seems the two designers don't even agree as to how certain aspect should be resolved.

The following is from a thread on the BGG Elder Sign forum, posted by Flamehearted . Omens is available in the iOS App Store!!! $3.99 (for iPhone only at the moment)

Here are a few things I've picked up on so far (feel free to add) :

1) In ESO the spells are cast after you have rolled. This contradicts what is in the rules for ES, but agrees with what Richard said at the Elder Sign event as to what was intended.

Conclusion : There will be an errata - spells are cast after the dice roll. I will continue to play this way in future.

2) In ESO the wild card on the red dice can be used as 4 investigation. In ES you can only use it for 1 investigation.

Conclusion : Just a difference between the two versions.

3) In ESO assisting / focusing works differently. If e.g three investigators are on the same space, you can place up to three dice on them on the same turn (providing you fail a task). In ES the rules state you can only place one die per failed roll on a character (i.e you can either assist or focus).

Conclusion : I prefer the method in ESO as it makes assisting more useful. Possible errata to ES ?

4) In ESO you can only buy one item in total from the souvenir shop. This was pretty clear I think in ES, but some people had read the text to mean that you could purchase up to one of each item in the souvenir shop per turn.

Conclusion : Same rule in both versions.

5) In ESO Mandy's ability is restricted to just her turn. In ES it refers to the active player.

Conclusion : Probably an errata - card meant Mandy only by active player. Will play using ESO rule.

About 2): Kevin Wilson at the same Arkham Nights event mentioned that the red wild card was intended to be usable as 4 investigation (again, a contradiction of the rulebook).

About 3) (multiple investigators assisting): I'm fairly certain that its implementation in Omens is a change from the full size game, though that's not to say they couldn't add it as errata for the full game anyway ^^.

5) In Eso Mandy's ability is restricted to just her turn.....

Just her turn, not once her turn per day? i.e thinking of games with less than four investigators, thanks..

Thanks also for post this thread. A lot better than the second guessing going on at BGG.