Defection or Mass defection

By kingsoyboy, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

My opponent went to move 3 army figures over to a barbarian village when he reached it it was within 6 squares of my army figures so i played the culture event card mass defection which reads(Choose a square within 6 squares of one of your figures or cities. Kill 2 figures in the chosen square. This may interrupt a figure's movement.) My question is can i play the card after he arrived at the barbarian village killing 2 figures and forcing him to fight them with one army or do i need to kill them after the fight or before he moves. Im not sure when the timing of playing the card comes into play. Thanks for any feed back on this

Since the card can be played at any time and combats are taken in steps, you can play a card at any step during the combat. So, step one, "Assemble the battle force", you can play your card and that player enters the combat with only 1 army instead of 3. Nice move. :)

I've never heard of such a tactic before, but it doesn't seem to break any rules. I guess I'll probably try use it some time.