Alternate Monetary System

By player1083847, in Dark Heresy House Rules

I was wondering if anyone has come up with any house rules to replace the monthly income system Dark Heresy has?

My characters are at the top end of the career scale (pre-ascension) and I don't do any money stuff at all. They should be at the stage where they can simply requisition stuff. As GM though, I tell them when they're being unreasonable or not.

I have always hated the cash-flow thing in RPGs. It slows the whole thing down. Yes it's nice to save up for a funky kit, but when you have characters looting bodies for every dime available, the system isn't working (unless you're playing scavengers, at which point it's perfect!).

Try the Rogue Trader ruleset. I found that to be ok for getting stuff.

we simply mulpilied income by 10. Nobles still ge fancy things, but other people can afford to eat.

I give my players an additional drudging income (the 30 thrones one) for each Trade skill they have, using Int bonus instead of rank in order to determine the total income.

I also give money rewards for completing objectives.

What would a character get if they were using their skills in medicae to make ends meat?

A living team-member they can use as a meat-shield. Again.

So a player with medicae skills wouldn't be able to make money in using his medicae skill if he doesn't have a trade skill then?

I would think a player play a doc, should be able to earn a living. But it might depend on where they are.

Work as a doctor would most definitely be regulated by a guild, who have the exclusive rights to perform these services in an area. So a character would either need to join the guild (which is not simple, positions are most likely hereditary), or operate as an unlicensed sawbones hidden from official scrutiny.

See they have Trade (Apothecary) and Trade (Embalmer) but nothing on Trade (Physician). Would it be really that hard to get in to a Medical Guild? I mean you are with the inquisition after all, would they really stop you from taking up work for part or full time depending on how things are following in game? I would think that a PC with medicae skill would be highly valuable and well received too. When you look in the book and at the prices and the availability for such skilled physicians that a PC would be needed some where to preform medical services. But to be honest I kinda don't like the whole Trade skill to begin with, your playing a game to do investigations and fight, not to work on a trade skill to make ends meat.

Discuss with your GM if he would take Medicae as a trade skill. You're not in my game so I can't decide that for you anyway.

In my game it doesn't really matter because the medic is a GMPC, after the player left the group.