Who Purchased & Who is Playing?

By CanadianPittbull, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

So when this game was finally released here in North America I quickly picked it up as I was very interested in the subject matter and of course the genre. When I got the book in my hands I just loved the size and weight of the book, the artwork and the amount of info in the huge tome of Anima goodness. I have been reading the thing and although it seems very crunchy the system looks to really lend itself very much to a cinematic way of playing. I am not a stranger to rule crunchy systems and this game can look rather intimidating at first glance but I really think the system lends itself well to the subject matter and once folks get use to it I think the system will take a backseat to the story.

I know I have a game awaiting to be run in the wings once I have finished reading through it. But I really like the depth of this game from what I have read thus far. I just wish the GameMasters Screen had been released at the same time but I have heard that it and the World Book: Gaia are in the pipeline or that is what the rumours are.

So anyone purchased this and are running a game or are planning to run a game?

I just picked the game up last week and am in the process of writing up the beginnings of a campaign for my gaming group. They're mostly used to D&D(3.5/4) and White Wolf, but they're very willing to try new things. Even though Anima is a bit crunchy, I think that the system will hold up during gaming and not get in the way of the story or the gameplay.

One thing that I know will be quite appealing to my group is the depth of character variability (customization). This is not a game with cookie cutter characters, and that's a very good thing.

I have got to agree on the depth of character creation and every bit of this game oozes with the Anima theme. I think that it is very customizable in that folks who want to focus more on the story and less on mechanics could easily use only the bare essentials of the system(s) that make this game tick. I really like the background story and look forward to more products coming down the pipeline to dress the landscape even more so. But I really think Fantasy Flight was smart in picking up this title and giving North American fans a chance to experience Anima: Beyond Fantasy.

I personally like the more crunchy systems. Anima is very crunchy but without the expense of dragging out tcombat. If you have player and GM who are comfortable with the rules then combat will go fast. The complexity of the game just gives melee characters more options than just "I hit it with my sword what bonuses do I get?".

I agree with Lennon, and from what I have experienced there is no real imbalance between magic users and Melee fighters, both seem fun to play as and the game allow a massive amount of customization of your character. Some of the rules seem to be bit poorly translated and there are errors within the book but it's certainly a lot of fun and certainly worth looking at if your are bored with 3.5 or 4.0.

I love the story as well, very intergrated in the game itself and certainly would be interesting to see where quest writers would take the story line if it were to continue.

I've noticed that if the player writes down all the rules that pertain to his character on the back of thier character sheet, it quickly becomes second nature. Haveing the player of the Psychic in the group I run write down the rules for his powers, and the combat modifiers, speeds things along nicely. If you have an archer, they should write down the ranged combat modifiers on their sheet. This minimizes time spent thumbing through the book, a feat made more difficult by the book not haveing an index. It also eases the burden on the GM, so he has to keep track of fewer rules in his/her precious noggin, making more room in their brain meats for plot.

I too recently purchased Anima and am looking to run a demo at my local game shop. I think this game goes a long way to providing something for everyone without losing the need for a single unifying system. I like that there is only 2 dice. Character generation was a blast and came quickly once I got used to it. Assembling pre-generated characters helps a great deal in familiarizing yourself with the new system. The game could benefit from an index and a game masters screen. Hopefully something of that nature will be coming in the future.

Already released in both Spanish and French:

-The GM's Screen with a booklet including additionnal rules, miscellaneous and an introduction scenario in 3 parts.

-The Player's Kit: A set of character sheets specially designed for each type of archetypes, plus a great map of Gaïa.

-Gaïa vol.1: the World's book. Chronology, additionnal rules, organizations, very accurate details of all countries of the Old Continent and Varja.

In Spanish and soon in French:

-Dominios del Ki: Additionnal rules and deeper approach of the Ki's Powers, techniques, martial arts, and MORE. Really.

Next release: Tales of Gaïa, a novels book.

And, there's an index of the corebook in the booklet given with the DM's screen (as well as a full list of the corebook spells)

If you're looking for quick rules review , Swordwraith made it on Edge's english-speaking board

Moklo said:

Next release: Tales of Gaïa, a novels book.

Hum, dear Moklo, are you sure it will be the next release ? I think the next book after Ki Dominions will be Those who walked among with us (monster compendium), isn't it ? And Tales of Gaia is an adventure compendium, but there will be also novels, it's not the same thing.

Well, a little mistake here :P I misunderstood the probability of a quick release of the Tales ^^ So, next release: Those Who Walk Among Us !!! ^^

Hi everybody ^_^ ; I'm from the Spanish forum, I had listened there that the web of FFG has chaged to the same theme than the edge web and I decided to register, try to help English people, and improve my English at same time xD.

Moklo, in Spain we dont get the novels soon, the next book is "Los que caminaron con nosotros" (Who walked with us), is a monster guide with some new races and nephillims and new monster powers.

p.d: hi Ysalaine ^^

Hey! I picked up the game and I gotta say I'm falling in love with it! once I wrap the palladium campaign I'm going to be running it. can't wait for some other support products to go with it though!

Black_Zerg said:

Hi everybody ^_^ ; I'm from the Spanish forum, I had listened there that the web of FFG has chaged to the same theme than the edge web and I decided to register, try to help English people, and improve my English at same time xD.

You can also improve your french, we have also the same forum since september gui%C3%B1o.gif

The French dont have their own forum?, what happened with Ubik web? (Edge absortion I supose xD)

Black_Zerg said:

The French dont have their own forum?, what happened with Ubik web? (Edge absortion I supose xD)

Yes, Ubik is now "Edge France" gui%C3%B1o.gif

When is it going to be released in Europe, not asking for myself but for my GF...she wants it, we want to play it:P

If by Europe you specificaly mean the UK, I saw Amazon.co.uk selling the English FFG published version (don't actually know if there are other versions, just this is the one they were selling) for £23.10 if that's any help to you

The corebook is released in spain and france since a long time now. By Edge. FFG take care of the english editions, wherever you are.

Lupinorc said:

for £23.10

sorpresa.gif

Incredible ! I knew it was cheaper in $ than in €, but... they offer it on Amazon ! In France it costs 46€=59.7$=39£ !!! (at least)

You waited a long time for an english version, but now, you're lucky for the price !

List price here in the States is $60USD. That looks to be right in line with the 46€ cost.

They really need to release the GM screen I heard it comes with lots of extra rules.

Since I have been waiting for the English edition for yoinks, I picked up a copy soon after it realeased.

Not sure if I have the time to grok the system right now but the ideas and the artwork are quite fantastic.

Is there anyone who has a party of this forming yet? The front-end of the Vampire 1st Edition was kinda-sorta the same way. There was a great ground swell for a new system but i took a little more time to get everyone together.

A shorter Player Guide in an affordable price range might make it germinate a little faster.

A-S

axisofevil.gif

Thinking about a story for your first adventure is very easy, you'll see ! It's not this kind of games which is great when you read it, but you can't figure out how to play it. You will manage to find a good story, whatever is your favorite game style (inquiries, plots, dungeon crawling, exploration, etc.).

Ysalaine said:

Thinking about a story for your first adventure is very easy, you'll see ! It's not this kind of games which is great when you read it, but you can't figure out how to play it. You will manage to find a good story, whatever is your favorite game style (inquiries, plots, dungeon crawling, exploration, etc.).

My question was more about the gaming groups that are already formed and how big they are? The European groups have been going for a while and I know we have some members in that community floating about. How many PC's are in your groups?