Asteros Bullrush

By diversionArchitect, in Tannhauser

I didn't see this mentioned so I'm making a new thread!

"When Asteros makes a Bull Rush, he may move through as many characters as he has movement for. He must still win the Stamina test in order to move through each character. Each character he moves through suffers one automatic wound."

What if he fails to bullrush guy number 3 in a chain, does he:

Use movement for the guys he DID bullrush, then go back to his place and deal wounds to the guys he got successes on?

or

Completely fail the bullrush and stay put.

We had TOTALLY misread this before fielding him today. Wanted to have something in place before we bring him out next.

My assumption is that you would do one step at a time. Bullrush requires a vacant hex to move into immediately beyond each target character. So you bullrush one character and complete that part of the move. Continue to try and move through the second character and complete that step. At the third character you fail. The target character gets to make a melee attack and the Asteros can finish his move without any more bullrush attempts. That is the way I read the rules. No other way makes sense to me at the moment. Maybe someone else has a different interpretation.

I agree, Asteros must have a empty circle to move to after each Bull Rush, so two people standing single file and adjacent would still block his movement.

The only other interpitation is that you make all the stamina tests at once, if he wins them all he can move through, But I don't think that's what is ment here.

Miah999 said:

I agree, Asteros must have a empty circle to move to after each Bull Rush, so two people standing single file and adjacent would still block his movement.

The only other interpitation is that you make all the stamina tests at once, if he wins them all he can move through, But I don't think that's what is ment here.

+1

Does this strike you as something the enemy actually has to TRY to set up for you to do? I can't imagine not realizing that my troops had been spaced just so that Asteros can checkers-style hop through 2 or more of them-

I'll have to figure out something else, or the Bullrush bonus for him seems pretty worthless imo

Thats why i wanna play Tannhauser against you guys so badly! Well ok, it cant say you cant target the same character twice? Have you ever wondered what happens if you bull rush someone then decide to go back? Well the space is there, you won the first time and you only have to pay what? Movement? You probably melee anyway, to get past someone to be close to someone else right? So being asteros the guy with almost all 7/7/7/7 you can just go at least 3 times against the same character if you started your turn adjacent to it! Consting you only your Movement, last time i checked he still can do his action...

Not powerful, not useless, i can work with that... After all its automatic wound and not success... So no shock rolls for that right? hehehe

Although the wording is not specific, it does say you may move through as many characters as he has movement. This would imply that only one Bullrush per character. That is the way I would lean, unless there is a conclusive counter argument.

Horsa said:

Although the wording is not specific, it does say you may move through as many characters as he has movement. This would imply that only one Bullrush per character. That is the way I would lean, unless there is a conclusive counter argument.

We allowed it in our last game, but it seems the opposite of what was intended by Asteros. I think he's a bull- so he bullrushes steadily down a hallway. If it the back and forth is allowed it seems like he's more of a ballet dancer than a charging bull.

Miah999 said:

It's as I think

For me you have 2 options here:

1 - Follow the bullrush rules and he probably can only bullrush 1 person but nothing in the bullrush rules says you cant move forth and back as long as you have movement.

2- You can follow the ability intention and let he bullrush as many people he has movement to as long as he's winning the checks, ignoring the empty spaces.

Otherwise the ability is useless, we talking asteros here, you lose 1 trooper and 1 CP. He must be worth of its penalty, else hes useless.

About this wording "you may move through as many characters as he has movement" i fail to see why you cant bullrush the same char again. Lets say that if you wanna initiate this ability all you gotta do is declare a bullrush, since there is no action for it. Well you can declare a bullrush after another bullrush. Reseting the wording again and again, there is no action and it dosent state you cant use it more then once in a round. So you are following the rules at all times. But this is ridiculous of course, unless hes just on the same square kicking the **** out of the target on the ground with his hoof or something like that.

Heheh or optionally this:

He may bullrush without having a space to go, and can do so to a line of people.

If he succeeds the bullrush and has no space to move- he shoves all of the people he's rushed into the spaces he passed- in the order they were in.

(so if he fails the 3rd guy, he stops in the place of the 2nd- shoving the first 2 guys backwards one circle each)

This means- you don't want to stand next to anyone or risk him rushing the group of you, but I think I can see that happening far more often than people standing a single space away- I mean the checker-style hop is cool too, but i just can never see it happening.

And him bull rushing the same person over and over is ridiculous- after each success it gets much easier to succeed- the dice of the Black Angel couldn't save Oksana. :''(