Is this going OOP?

By ColtsFan76, in Blue Moon

I picked up most of the decks to this game on Tanga. Since then, it seems out of stock everywhere else. Is FFG letting this go into oblivion? I have heard Kosmos is taking down their info as well. Is the market saturated when it comes to this game?

Well unlike 5 of FFGs games, this one got a place on this forum, which may be a good sign.

jadrax said:

Well unlike 5 of FFGs games, this one got a place on this forum, which may be a good sign.

Which ones didn't make it? Marvel Heroes is the only obvious one I can find.

The German version is OOP for quite some time.

I don't think there is an official statement from FFG, but the consensus of the people seems to be that it is going OOP here as well.

I wonder that as well, because FFG is blowing out the expansion packs. Makes me wonder.

strange... i had the feeling this one sold allright actually....

moekel said:

strange... i had the feeling this one sold allright actually....

I think it is a solid game that a lot of people enjoy. But if you don't keep expansions coming, people's interest might start to fade. From what I recall, it targetted CCG players that didn't want the first C. But they may still want the thrill of new races and new combos.

Kosmos said something like "We had two good years and two bad years." And that the Buka were more a gift to the fans that a financial decision at the time of release.

Why are there 2 sets of games with the same title. Like Beowulf, and this one? What is the difference?

TheChampIsHere said:

Why are there 2 sets of games with the same title. Like Beowulf, and this one? What is the difference?

Huh? One game is named "Blue Moon", the other one "Blue Moon City". That are two different names.

One is a CCG like cardgame, that deals with the war in the blue moon world.

The other an area majoriry board game, that deals with the rebuilding of that world after the war.

The only similarity is that they play both in the same universe.

My information - not from FFG, with whom I have no contacts - is, yes, it's going OOP, so buy now.

Why? Economics obviously. Staying power in a game is actually the rarity, not the usual case. Obviously it's the big names that continue year after year, but mostly it takes something extra to keep a game going.

Blue Moon had the possibility of that extra, being expandable (although the original world of eight peoples was complete, so some work on expanding needed). But even that came to an end, and as has been noted, the last deck, the Buka nearly didn;t happen. I have an article on the Buka deck creation at http://www.mnemosyne.demon.co.uk/bgames/bluemoon

It's also worth noting the economics of development. Blue Moon decks weren't created by a team at Fantasy Flight - or even at Kosmos. (It's really a Kosmos game, also published in English by Fantasy Flight Games - although actually designed in English.) All was designed by Reiner Knizia, with some help from some other people. And, as the artocle above points out, creating the Buka deck was quite a lot of work, and designer's royalties go as selling price, which for a single deck isn't high.

Of course if you happen to be a millionaire and want to relaunch the game, I'm sure the subject could be reopened...