Promo Cards

By jgt7771, in CoC General Discussion

I've been assuming that, due to the nature of the "Living Card Game"...that is, everyone on equal footing regarding card acquisition...FFG is no longer going to bother printing up "promo cards", since that creates a heightened collectibility factor they seem to be trying to avoid.

Am I wrong?

we're not sure

extra text

I really hope that you are wrong. In my opinion promos were great. It was nice to get promo when attending to tournament.

Hopefully there would be some sort of "free" stuff that you could have beside gaming.

T.A

Alaranta said:

I really hope that you are wrong. In my opinion promos were great. It was nice to get promo when attending to tournament.

Hopefully there would be some sort of "free" stuff that you could have beside gaming.

I agree. Promo's helped get bums on seats at local tournaments.

The_Big_Show said:

Alaranta said:

I agree. Promo's helped get bums on seats at local tournaments.

Agree - they are a very good bait.

When I played other CCG (Dark Millennium) - it was the only reason for lazy players to come.

From the other hand - it is pity that Sanity Points programme has been cancelled.

Being the one who was stuck fullfilling the sanity point orders back when Casey left... it was a shocking amount of work and free product that ended up being dished out. I'm not surprised at all they got rid of the promotion. I was covered in little points from head to toe thanks to the mid-winter static cling we have here in MN. :) I too enjoyed the promos, but it was really easy for me to get playsets of them as I helped at the office and I was a Servitor and that is a big reason why.

Pandafarmer said:

Being the one who was stuck fullfilling the sanity point orders back when Casey left... it was a shocking amount of work and free product that ended up being dished out. I'm not surprised at all they got rid of the promotion. I was covered in little points from head to toe thanks to the mid-winter static cling we have here in MN. :) I too enjoyed the promos, but it was really easy for me to get playsets of them as I helped at the office and I was a Servitor and that is a big reason why.

I am thinking that they could go another way - like giving some vouchers in internet shop for Sanity Points. Like 100points and you have $10 for merchendise. There would be no complex logistic and fun for players would remain.

I'm hoping they don't do promos again. If you don't have a servitor near you that runs events, they are a pain in the butt to get. There were times I hated that there were promos.

IF FFG makes them easy to get (note, the sanity redemption program did not make it easy when it was one point per booster pack) then I'd be on board. But right now I have the feeling I'd have to rely on the secondary market. Which I would like not to do.

To quote the Adeventures in Mythos news article "Future league kit prize packs will vary, and will include playmats, promos, and other custom Call of Cthulhu Prizes."

Looks like there will be promo cards in the future, that is lifted straight out of news section.

new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

As Hastur pointed out in another thread, it just says "promos", not promo cards. 'Promo' encompasses pretty much anything they give away for the game.

dealing with card games id have to assume they mean promo cards or i think they would have said 'playmats and other promo items.' atleast thats my take on it.

PearlJamaholic said:

dealing with card games id have to assume they mean promo cards or i think they would have said 'playmats and other promo items.' atleast thats my take on it.

That is what they said.

Don´t like the promos really.

Maybe because when you start a tournament in germany most people had to drive about 140-300 kilometers.....

And why need every game some sort of promos? Go to this fair, buy this card magazine, play on friday in this shop...

Today if you want all pices of a game you mostly have to spend more money on the promo-pieces than the hole game with all expansions. And I don´t talk about selling your arm and leg at ebay. Only the cost of driving to special events....

Take the descent/runebound promo: not game balanced and in germany with a mistake on it....

Where to get? Only at Essen 2008. The tiket cost more than 3 runebound cardpacks....