House rule - Armor damage.

By GraySteel33, in Deathwatch House Rules

So I have a house rule that anytime damage exceeds the AV of a players armor that the armor is reduced by one on the next round. So Power armor has a 10 on the body if you take 15 pts of damage, then on the following rounds you have 9 armor. So on and so forth. To compensate for the extra need for armor I made the jars of cement be able to repair up to 3 armor points.

So far it has made my players think more tactically and engage the enemy in different ways. Also, they invest a lot in repair cement. :)

Thoughts?

I like the general idea, but I might make the damage ration at least 2:1, maybe even 3:1.

Isn't there the repair cement in the items section already?

But yea, I like the idea!

DJSunhammer said:

I like the general idea, but I might make the damage ration at least 2:1, maybe even 3:1.

I'd agree with a higher ratio. Otherwise, every single bolter round that hits and doesn't roll a 1 for damage (which is pretty much 99% of rolls as its tearing!) would rip through the armor since its 1d10+9 with the errata. Alternately, I'd suggest that you reduce the armor every time a character is hit by a weapon that completely ignores it with pen. For that damage, I wouldn't allow it to be field repaired (although an extended tech use outside of combat with the proper forge tools and parts could). That way, less armor is still a risk but not an occurence every round.

I would almost apply armor damage only when the player takes 5 rounds or so that don't deal damage to him but rather shred up his armor for later, i don't think it should be wholly damage based (but it is important) i think it should also involve the number of hits you take in a turn. just to make it more realistic.. i think i will use this in later games i run, thanks for posting it, very interesting idea!

I will test this idea in one of my higly maimed and cibernetically reconstructed player's character

Thank you for posting it. I will bring back my results soon in exchange of the idea