Battle resolution and gather icons

By gramis, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Hi guys,

after some games we found some problem with 2 rules. The first is about the battle resolution. Our question is: when one player (1) won the battle againts a city (2) and killed all the figures in the enemy battle hand but the attacker have less combat point, the player (1) win the battle with less point? (example player 1 have only 6 strenght on the table and the player 2 haven't figures but have 8 combat bonuses points, 6 of the city and 2 of one barrack. who win?)

when i go with one scouts to an enemy square with a building what i can gather? the icons of square or of building? and with a wonder?

i hope that anyone can answer me.

gramis said:

Hi guys,

after some games we found some problem with 2 rules. The first is about the battle resolution. Our question is: when one player (1) won the battle againts a city (2) and killed all the figures in the enemy battle hand but the attacker have less combat point, the player (1) win the battle with less point? (example player 1 have only 6 strenght on the table and the player 2 haven't figures but have 8 combat bonuses points, 6 of the city and 2 of one barrack. who win?)

when i go with one scouts to an enemy square with a building what i can gather? the icons of square or of building? and with a wonder?

i hope that anyone can answer me.

Battle resolution is simply like this: Whoever has the highest unit strength, including any and all combat bonus, at the time all units have been played always wins, regardless of how many or few units he/she has.Thus in your case, where the attacker had 6 strength and the defender had 8 the defender would win.
In case of ties (where both players have equal strength) the defender wins.

A Building, Wonder or Great Person replaces any and all icons on a map square. Thus a scout on a Building can steal the icons of the Building and nothing else. Combat bonuses are the only exception to this rule. You can blockade it but not gain it yourself.
In the case of wonders, you would blockade it so the owner can't use it and also be able to harvest 1, 2 or 3 culture tokens from it depending on wether its Ancient, Medieval or Modern.

Fnoffen said:

Battle resolution is simply like this: Whoever has the highest unit strength, including any and all combat bonus, at the time all units have been played always wins, regardless of how many or few units he/she has.Thus in your case, where the attacker had 6 strength and the defender had 8 the defender would win.

The rulebook say:

Then, each player tallies up the strength of all of their
surviving units, adding in the value of the combat bonus card (if
they have it)

The word ADDING is wrong? or i can ADD a total strenght of 0 (no units on the table) with 8 combat bonuses to win?

last question: the errata says:

The following rule was omitted from the rulebook: “After
building a wonder, draw a new wonder card from the wonder
deck and add it to the market, placing the wonder marker that
corresponds to it next to the card.

What i have to do when i build a wonder?

gramis said:

Fnoffen said:

The rulebook say:

Then, each player tallies up the strength of all of their
surviving units, adding in the value of the combat bonus card (if
they have it)

The word ADDING is wrong? or i can ADD a total strenght of 0 (no units on the table) with 8 combat bonuses to win?

last question: the errata says:

The following rule was omitted from the rulebook: “After
building a wonder, draw a new wonder card from the wonder
deck and add it to the market, placing the wonder marker that
corresponds to it next to the card.

What i have to do when i build a wonder?

You are still not understanding the combat. It does not matter how many units you have when determining who wins. What matters is the total strength.

For example:
Player A has 1 unit card with a strength of 5 and 1 unit card with a strength of 2 for a total strength of 7
Player B has 4 unit cards each at strength 1 and has the bonus card with a strength of +2 for a total strength of 6

Player A wins because his strength total is higher. The number of units does not matter.

For the wonders, it's basically this. You have the 4 ancient wonders on the board in the following order:

The Colossus
The Hanging Gardens
Stonhenge
The Oracle

Someone builds Stonehenge. You flip over the next wonder and it's Angkor Wat. You push The Hanging Gardens and The Colossus down on the track and add Angkor Wat. The board should look like this now:

Angkor Wat
The Colossus
The Hanging Gardens
The Oracle

wootersl said:

You are still not understanding the combat. It does not matter how many units you have when determining who wins. What matters is the total strength. The number of units does not matter.

For the wonders, it's basically this. You have the 4 ancient wonders on the board in the following order:

The Colossus
The Hanging Gardens
Stonhenge
The Oracle

Someone builds Stonehenge. You flip over the next wonder and it's Angkor Wat. You push The Hanging Gardens and The Colossus down on the track and add Angkor Wat. The board should look like this now:

Angkor Wat
The Colossus
The Hanging Gardens
The Oracle

And if a player don't have units when determining who wins?

Player 1 defend a city only with a total bonuses of 16 (no units)
Player 2 attack and have 3 units= total 12 and no bonuses

WHO WIN?

And about the wonders: so the Errata don't change nothing? i have to flip the next wonder and we can build the next wonder normally...

gramis said:

wootersl said:

You are still not understanding the combat. It does not matter how many units you have when determining who wins. What matters is the total strength. The number of units does not matter.

The Colossus
The Hanging Gardens
Stonhenge
The Oracle

Angkor Wat
The Colossus
The Hanging Gardens
The Oracle

And if a player don't have units when determining who wins?

Player 1 defend a city only with a total bonuses of 16 (no units)
Player 2 attack and have 3 units= total 12 and no bonuses

WHO WIN?

And about the wonders: so the Errata don't change nothing? i have to flip the next wonder and we can build the next wonder normally...

I shall say this once more: It does not matter how MANY units are actually alive after combat on ANY side. All that matters is the total strength including bonuses.

To put it in a nother way: Attackers unit strength + bonuses = X. Defenders unit strength + bonus = Y. If X > Y, attacker wins. If X<=Y, defender wins.

Or to take your own exmple: Player 1 wins due to the fact that his result of 16 (unit strength 0 + bonus 16) is higher than player 2s result of 12 (unit strength 12 + bonus 0). Now if Player 2 would have had another unit of strength 4 his result would also have been 16. Player 1 would still win since ties (16 vs 16) always goes to the defender.

When it comes to the errata about wonders, they only put that in the FAQ because they forgot to put it in the original rulebook.

I hope I have been able to explain battle resolution to you now.

Are you sure about that ?

It seems weird that you can win with no units

Yes, I'm quite sure on that point. If you don't agree, make a rules query to FFG. If their answer is that you need a minimum of one unit to win, I shall gladly eat my hat. The military bonuses, I believe, symbolize defensive forces, supply lines, fuel depots and such while the armies symbolize offensive platoons and such.