The identity of Coldhands

By BenStark, in 6. AGoT Spoiler Space

I know that he's probably just a minor character to most. But I'm intrigued by who this person is.

If someone else beat me to it, let me know. I'd like to read the discussion.

Alright, so I think Coldhands is in fact Ben Stark. He died, was brought back by the Children and was used by Brynden to hunt down Bran Stark and bring him north of the Wall.

Thoughts?

I think that's certainly the most popular theory. There's little doubt that he's a wight of some variety, somehow protected from mindlessness by the Children or his Stark blood perhaps. He's referred to as the ranger, he calls himself Bran's monster, and has some ties to the Night's Watch.

As to who else it could be, perhaps another member of the Night's Watch? I've heard Waymar Royce tossed around, but i don't put much stock in that.

The main reason I no longer believe that Coldhands is/was Benjen Stark is the fact that Bran never refers to him as such after meeting him. Bran was old enough to remember his uncle, so unless there is a dramatic change in his appearance, I just don't see it anymore.

I don't always have the best attention/memory when reading, but doesn't Coldhands keep his face obscured? I seem to remember reading it was wrapped. That would prevent Bran from recognizing him.

KristoffStark said:

I don't always have the best attention/memory when reading, but doesn't Coldhands keep his face obscured? I seem to remember reading it was wrapped. That would prevent Bran from recognizing him.

To me, the more interesting thing is the virtual confirmation that the Three-Eyed Crow is Bloodraven.

ktom said:

KristoffStark said:

Yes. Bran actually makes an observation that he has never seen "The Ranger's" face.

To me, the more interesting thing is the virtual confirmation that the Three-Eyed Crow is Bloodraven.

Which makes him, in my mind, a strong candidate for one of the three Heads of the Dragon.

KristoffStark said:

Which makes him, in my mind, a strong candidate for one of the three Heads of the Dragon.

In theory, he could "skinchange" a dragon, I suppose. But if one of the "3 Heads" is going to be a skinchanger, I'd lean toward Bran.

ktom said:

KristoffStark said:

Yeah, I can't go that far. The description of him physically - almost as much tree as anything else at this point - makes it hard for me to think he could ride a dragon. It's not like he's standing up and disengaging from the wierwoods any time soon.

In theory, he could "skinchange" a dragon, I suppose. But if one of the "3 Heads" is going to be a skinchanger, I'd lean toward Bran.

I'll admit I'm... well, not grasping at straws, but seizing ideas that present themselves.

Hmm, maybe I'll start a thread about this.

I don't think the three heads of the dragon will be resolved. Given Martin's previous work, its highly likely that Dany will die before she gets a chance to figure that out.

bloodycelt said:

I don't think the three heads of the dragon will be resolved. Given Martin's previous work, its highly likely that Dany will die before she gets a chance to figure that out.

I'm curious what previous work you're referring to. If you're referring to how her last chapter in DWD ended, I think you're jumping to conclusions about what will follow that meeting.

Yeah I don't think any of the Dothraki will do anything to Daeny. They know that they'll all die for it.

I assume you guys saw the Azor Ahai thread? Wouldn't it be badass if John, who already fulfilled two out of 4 of the Azor Ahai promises, brought back bloodraven after being "reborn" ? I mean we have the salt and rock, we have the bleeding star overhead, now all we need is him to be reborn and bring a dragon out of stone, Weirwood is…Kinda like stone? =P