Anyone having experience with solo play?

By mr.thomasschmidt, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Hi.

I'm thinking of buying either WI:LCG, CoC:LCG of AGoT. The thing is I don't have anyone to play with. I have the LORTR:LCG and think it's great but I'd like to have one more. I don't know if I'll get Star Wars.

So is there anyone who has good experience/a good way to play Call of Cthulhu solo? I'd be most interested :)

I haven't heard of any particular single-player variants, I think you just basically play both sides as it if was a two-player game (and try not to take special advantage of knowing what the "other player" has in his deck or hand).

Yeah, pretty much the only way to play solo is to build two decks and play them both against each other. I sometimes test decks and combos this way.

Shangfu said:

Yeah, pretty much the only way to play solo is to build two decks and play them both against each other. I sometimes test decks and combos this way.

You have to decide for yourself, if you consider this kind of 'playing against yourself' fun. You might be better off waiting for the Star Wars LCG or one of the other (co-op) games that support single players, e.g. Arkham Horror.

I've had to play both sides before in many boardgames and minis wargames before coming to Call of Cthulhu, it's not that hard. One thing that helps keep "secret knowledge" from interfering is to play quickly, almost instinctively. It doesn't give you as much chance your memory of the other side's hidden information to influence your choices.

I played a test game yesterday over lunch, trying my Syndicate deck vs. a Cthulhu deck. As jhaelen says it's a good tuning exercise. I learned a couple of things that are going to help me both tune the deck and my play of it.

I wish someone would invent a set of solo rules for CoC but I can't see it being the same game if they did.