Sheer Brutality

By Kiwina, in The Lord of the Rings - Print on Demand

I've played this twice, which isn't a lot, but this is one brutal quest. The first time my friend and I got to the third stage right before we hit 50 threat a piece. The second time I played with 3 players and I'm not sure we even got passed the first stage. If I ever feel like I want a really hard challenge this is the quest.

I got the pack last night (in Hong Kong), played solo twice, can't pass 2nd stage. The scenario is really difficult.

Solar said:

I got the pack last night (in Hong Kong), played solo twice, can't pass 2nd stage. The scenario is really difficult.

Ups man. You stay in Hong-Kong. I stay in Bangkok. Cool to hear we have some players around Asia!!!

Will try the scneario tonight for the first time. Expecting an asskicking :)

First game of MaO today. Rangers of Ithilien on the first turn, great start right? Umm, no, they surge into Cut Off meaning all allies from hand are gone, then during the combat phase (with four of the six Enemies auto-engaging), another Cut Off comes, killing Thalin. Even with Eowyn in the mix, we had to quest pretty much every hero just to equal the threat in the staging area, nobody left to attack any other Enemies that were engaged (one Wargs was Forest Snared). Snagas (!!!) killed off both Thalin and Eowyn, then threat reached 50 before we were even out of the first stage. Same pair of decks that only recently thrashed a supposed diff 7 Carrock without breaking a sweat. With 0 allies out there, dealing with 4-6 Enemies while forced to quest with at least two of your heroes = recipe for disaster.

We managed to beat it in a 4-player game yesterday. Epic scenario, took a couple of tries and some luck with the drawing of the shadow cards. We noticed that feeding a couple of allies or heroes to the wargs on the first turn actually evened the odds, because the wargs got shuffeled back into the encounter deck.

Very tight game, we managed to build up an army and defeating all of the ennemies in the staging area before moving on to stage 2.

Our 4 decks were pretty in tune, with two players playing a lore/spirit deck, one player a tactics deck and one player a leadership/lore deck.

Heroes were Glorfinedel/Bilbo/Eleanor, Eowyn/Dunhere/Beravor, Gimli/Brand/Legolas and Denethor/Aragorn/Theodred.

got mine today and I must say - nice print for a print on demand... I feel so special :D printed extra for me :D

WOW! what a brutal quest... this is impossible... I'm gonna try it with more than just me... but solo.... this is such an epic challenge....wow....

Vyron said:

got mine today and I must say - nice print for a print on demand... I feel so special :D printed extra for me :D

WOW! what a brutal quest... this is impossible... I'm gonna try it with more than just me... but solo.... this is such an epic challenge....wow....

Can win even solo. Not easy but can. With my Gimly,Eowyn,Theodred can win 3 times from 10 session. But without Gimly solo game is impossible to win.

yes, I read your other posts in the forums about osgiliath... it's difficult though :D

I never tried a 3 sphere deck... :) interesting... maybe I'll try that sometime!

Oddly enough this together with the starter scenario are the only 2 I have beaten so far I think.
It is indeed very hard. Some far more experienced friends played it 5-6 times and still lost.
Surprisingly I got through it despite 1 ally loosing 2 heroes and another 1 hero. Overall we crushed the deck after the initial onslaught of loosing 2 heroes in turn one. We even butchered the Witch King through Gimly and a horde of archer allies.

Still I doubt that'll happen anytime soon again.

Got MaO today. It's massive and big fun. Tried it with Gloin/Gimli/Legolas even though I knew that doom was impending because of low willpower but I made it till stage 4 with all Heroes living, but was then shredded terribly by skyrocketing threat...

This scenario is brutal. We play with all four decks and have won one out of 3 games so far. The game we won we got lucky since only one hero died in the beginning and we had lots of healing cards. The other two games the threats skyrocketed from the beginning and we had to take 10 enemies off the bat. It's hard to keep heroes alive.

I made a lore sphere deck and went at this quest like 15 times before getting past it. Key was to snare the high hit point encounter and load it up with 7 damage, then when you reach the witch king pull out your gandalf and the transfer damage event to deal witch king 7+ 4 before he gets to start swooping. And I agree, you do have to throw and ally to the wolves on the first turn to give yourself a chance to get your feet under you.

In my Opinion you dont need to kill Wich-KIng. Just engage him and quest with all power and finish game in couple of rounds.