Pulling punches

By Ichiban11, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Anybody know how to let your charecters pull a punch? I don't want to kill the guy, just knock him out. Or when I'm fakeing it to fool an NPC.

If you're faking to fool an NPC, I'd just pass a note to the GM to that effect to get that going. Combat may not even be necessary. As far as hand-to-hand combat, I think incapcitating your target is built into the rules already. You acrew fatigue and after you get enough fatigue you pass out.

Other than just 'PUFFing' it by the GM I was looking for more like a one hit knock-out and 'PUFFing' it to just fool some one is kinda weak. When you're faking a fight there's always the chance the dumb lug you're fighting with might hit to hard.

I was thinking either a ST or WS check to pull the punch.

There are times where the PC wants to hit someone, but not hurt them. Like when they want to beat up a kid or a during an interigation and there might be a chance they kill the guy. Just saying that he's fine or 'oops you killed him' without rolling something does put the ball in the GM's court, but takes away the player's control for his/her PC.

Any ideas on my plan.

Just take min damage without rolling.

Ichiban11 said:

I've had a different idea - one I've been looking at implementing with my group, as they keep accidentally killing the suspects they want to interrogate.

In the heat of battle, pulling an attack or otherwise aiming it so that it deliberately deals less damage can be tricky, but skilled combatants can accomplish it. When rolling for damage, you may reduce the total damage rolled (before reductions for Toughness Bonus and Armour) by an amount equal to one-tenth of your Weapon Skill (for melee attacks) or Ballistic Skill (for ranged attacks), plus the number of degrees of success gained on the to-hit roll. You do not have to reduce the damage by the full amount allowed. This cannot reduce the damage (before reductions for TB and Armour) below 1.

Example: Nihilus Quarl, a Metallican Gunslinger with a BS of 50 wants to incapacitate, but not kill, a fleeing and wounded suspect with a shot from his Fatebringer. The shot hits by 2 degrees, and the damage roll before reductions is 11. The unfortunate recipient of this shot is unarmoured, has a TB of 3, and has only 1 wound remaining, so this shot could well kill him. Nihilus can reduce the damage he deals by up to 7 - 5 for his BS of 50, and 2 for his degrees of success, allowing him to turn a killing shot into a crippling one instead...

There's a thread I started on the "Knock out" action : Here

Maybe it could help

As fo myself, I use the Stun rmechanic with some slight modifications:

- The target must be helpless

- You don't get -20 on your WS test (those with the takedown talent could get +20)

- The target doesn't get to roll a d10 but his toughness bonus and armor points still applies

- If succesful, your opponent is Unconscious (instead of Stunned) for a number of minutes (instead of rounds) equal to the difference between your roll and his TB (+AP to the head) and gains 1 LoF.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Ichiban11 said:

I've had a different idea - one I've been looking at implementing with my group, as they keep accidentally killing the suspects they want to interrogate.

In the heat of battle, pulling an attack or otherwise aiming it so that it deliberately deals less damage can be tricky, but skilled combatants can accomplish it. When rolling for damage, you may reduce the total damage rolled (before reductions for Toughness Bonus and Armour) by an amount equal to one-tenth of your Weapon Skill (for melee attacks) or Ballistic Skill (for ranged attacks), plus the number of degrees of success gained on the to-hit roll. You do not have to reduce the damage by the full amount allowed. This cannot reduce the damage (before reductions for TB and Armour) below 1.

Example: Nihilus Quarl, a Metallican Gunslinger with a BS of 50 wants to incapacitate, but not kill, a fleeing and wounded suspect with a shot from his Fatebringer. The shot hits by 2 degrees, and the damage roll before reductions is 11. The unfortunate recipient of this shot is unarmoured, has a TB of 3, and has only 1 wound remaining, so this shot could well kill him. Nihilus can reduce the damage he deals by up to 7 - 5 for his BS of 50, and 2 for his degrees of success, allowing him to turn a killing shot into a crippling one instead...

Like the idea, but it sounds a bit complicated and might slow the combat down for my group. I'm not worried about my guys "accidently" killing people; unless I remind them that they need them alive they tend to kill everyone in sight. Our Cleric once ran into a Bible study group in the Underhive and killed every last one of them. Afterwards he relized that they had done absolutely NOTHING and he was the one who jumped them.

If it wasn't so typical yet surprising I would have had the wits to give him Corruption points, but I didn't and I'm not gonna retcon him on it now.

Ichiban11 said:

Like when they want to beat up a kid....

HAHAHAHA! Sorry... That is hilarious. That just kinda tickled a dark sadistic nerve :P

Like the idea, but it sounds a bit complicated and might slow the combat down for my group.

It doesn't, actually. You just see how much damage you rolled and tell the GM how much you want to inflict if the reduction is the first digit of your WS + your degrees of success or lower.