A few questions

By georgio852, in Gears of War: The Board Game

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I'm having real difficulty winning any games, in fact I am 0 from 5. I just want to check I'm doing everything right and not making it hard on myself.

1. Does the Lambent Wretch do an automatic wound when it explodes, or does the CoG get to roll the shield dice, and same when rolling an omen. Does it cause an auto wound, or do Locusts and CoG's get to try to save.

2. AI cards. If there is no target locusts on the board you draw a new card. Do you keep drawing new cards if the new card does not apply to any locusts on the board or do you just draw one more? We have played a couple of games where we have just killed several locusts, we are almost out of order cards and have had to go through all the AI cards until we get to a spawn card, then we usually get wiped out as we have not had any Heal phases, but have gone through the complete AI deck. I imagine we are doing this right, as it does not specifically say to only draw one more card. But we are really getting hammered in this game. I have played 2 & 4 player so far, with some real experienced gamers so it is not as if we are noobs. (it probably wouldn't feel so bad if we were gui%C3%B1o.gif )

Thanks

answer for question 2: the way we play it is that we keep drawing AI cards ONLY and ONLY IF the card we draw has an instructions that says 'if no (locust) in play draw another AI card".......for example, if we draw an AI card that will not allow any of the locust in play to perform either actions (regular and optional) but the card doesnt instruct to draw another AI card, then we stop there....the locust are SOL and do nothing that turn. If the card however instructed to draw another AI, then we draw it. Does that make sense? ...that's the way we play it.

georgio852 said:

1. Does the Lambent Wretch do an automatic wound when it explodes, or does the CoG get to roll the shield dice, and same when rolling an omen. Does it cause an auto wound, or do Locusts and CoG's get to try to save.

It's a straight wound, you only roll defense dice against attacks, it's not an attack (LW doesn't roll any dice for it). Like Tickers blowing themselves up, killing Lambent Wretches while in the same area is generally to be avoided.

I haven't had a chance to pick this game up yet (though I dearly want to), so I haven't really dug into the rules too deeply yet. I will say this, however: Gears is a co-op game, and co-op games in general tend to have the odds stacked against the players. At least, the good ones do. The reason being because the game can't learn and adapt to your strategy, so it needs to be hard to beat in order to maintain a certain level of challenge.

Nothing is quite so boring as a co-op game you've already figured out how beat consistently.

Oh, for sure. We're not complaining (much lengua.gif ) It's a great game, and when we do beat it it will be a well earn't victory. We just wanted to make sure we had it right.

Thanks for the replies guys.