Watch My Back

By Otar, in Tannhauser

Hi, guys, i have a question about Watch My Back from Commander Alpha. It says "You may counterattack (without spending a command point) after a friendly character is wounded by an attack..."

So, can you use this ability when the friendly in question is killed? Because you know, usually to counterattack you gotta be alive, but in this case the unit counterattacking is alive, so... Basically Commander Alpha gets a free attack on the last row against any unit that hits or kill a frindly that he shares a path with? Is that it? Or he can't counterattack unless the friendly survives?

Well to die you must be wounded, so I'd say yes.

Miah999 said:

Well to die you must be wounded, so I'd say yes.

But usually to counterattack you gotta be alive, i know that condition is meet in this case but since its a contradiction to the rules i just wanted to know what you guys think and maybe if someone already have the official answer.

But just to let you guys know when the issue arrised we ruled as Miah, we allowed the counterattack.

There's no official answer on this yet, but remember the character being wounded/dies must give up their right to counter attack for the Commando to take his free counter attack.

Miah999 said:

There's no official answer on this yet, but remember the character being wounded/dies must give up their right to counter attack for the Commando to take his free counter attack.

That's the point, how can you give up a right that you don't have? Because dead people can't counterattack.

As the ability says "wounded" and not "wounded or killed" and the wounded character may not use his normal counterattack, I'd say the ability can't be used if the friendly character is killed, but the wording is not completely clear. Maybe someone should send this question to FFG for an official answer.

I have sent a question about this one and about Reichdocktor from Hoss, it really bugs me that you can use it anytime...

Please share the answers when you get them, I'd be interested and I suppose others are too. By the way, what is your problem with the Reichdocktor ability?

"Watch my back" allow another character (which is not the target) to counterattack in place of the wounded character.

The original rule about being alive for launching a counterattack is not valid here since the unit making the counterattack and the one wounded (and eventually killed) are not the same.

The question is: How close do you stick to the wording of the ability? It allows a counterattack "if a friendly character is wounded by an attack" instead of "if a friendly character is wounded OR KILLED by an attack", so you could argue that the ability can't be used if the friendly character was killed. I admit you could argue the other way because the character was wounded and then killed. I'm just not sure.

I think the main problem here is that there have been some strange official answers to rules questions lately, some of them even overriding the wording of rules. So we just can't be sure how close we have to follow the wording of rules or abilities until we ask.

Plageman said:

"Watch my back" allow another character (which is not the target) to counterattack in place of the wounded character.

I think so too.

??! said:

I think the main problem here is that there have been some strange official answers to rules questions lately, some of them even overriding the wording of rules. So we just can't be sure how close we have to follow the wording of rules or abilities until we ask.

In doubt I follow Rule 0: If all player agree to change a rule, then don't bother with what's printed. gran_risa.gif

It really vary from playgroup to playgroup. Mine really like to stick to the rules if this mean playability and we rather have answers from those who created the game, so we try to stick to the rules, but for sure if we all agree, something is changed and we explain any changes to new players beforehand.

And ??! my problem with Reichdocktor ability is about the timing of things, i really need to know if you can get a unit that's on the last row and kill it intentionally to get the 2 extra success or if the unit die before the attack is resolved, or about the timing with the shock roll, so you can see how many success the shock is going to have then decide if you wanna take the 2 damage since you know the result of your 2 extra success... Timing means too much when you can add 2 success and the ability dosent mention much on that.

When/if i ever get the official answers i will post on the thread that have the other official answers.

Regards,

Gilberto.

I also like to know how a rule is meant to work or an ability is meant to be played. Only if you know the official rule you know if there's a need to change it.

My guess on Reichdocktor is that you add the two successes after the attack roll but before the shock roll. Furthermore, I think you can intentionally kill your own character with this ability and that character would still deal damage because the wounds are taken after the attack roll is resolved.