Using 2x runewars?

By slowdice, in Runewars

Hi FFG Forum!

I thinking about buying Runewars, but I often play games with 5-6 Persons.
Runewars looks interesting, but the limitation to 4 Players is the main drawback.
Would it be possible to use 2x Runewars and playing with 1xHuman, 2xElves, 2x Undead, 1xDemons as an example?
Maybe I could paint the miniatures from the second game with different colors.

Regards,
Slowdice

I suppose you could, but I doubt a 5+ player game would be fun; the bigger the map, the less the interaction (and the harder the Questing).

Plus, if you are doubling up the tiles, you'd have some areas that are duplicated, and that could have a strange impact on questing.

The main problem is that you won't be able to easily tell certain elements on the board apart. I.e. is this activation marker here from undead A or undead B? You could at least prime the figures different colours, but what about the markers?

Then there's priority for some things which is based on starting influence, which is in turn unique for every race but not for duplicate races.

Our group is 5-6 too and we still play. We'll just double up on one team. Sure, it slows the game down so there can be quick discussions between team members, but we've thought it was fun.

Also, perhaps you should consider the impending Game of Thrones game. It supports 6 players. I've never played the original edition myself, but it seems like there are a few design similarities with Runewars. I love love love Runewars, but I'm really excited to pick up GoT too.

Now with the Banners of War expansion you could try with all the tiles and repeating factions. But not more than 5 players

Some Runewars fans over on Board Game Geek have made a couple custom factions - worht taking a look at if you're going for a 5-6player game. Dunwarr Dwarves is a faction to expand the typical game to 5 players. Not sure if the starcraft variants are balanced with the official races, though. You'll need to sign up to BGG, but that's a good idea even for the casual board gamer.

Dunwar Dwarves:

boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79082/runewars-expansion-dunwarr-dwarves

Starcraft Races:

boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79113/starcraft-ii-variants