Worth getting if you own and love Lord of the Rings BG?

By swimswithdolphins, in The Hobbit Board Game

I own Lord of the Rings board game and love it. Is The Hobbit board game worth getting? Incomparison, at first glance it seems simplified.

In reality the two games are next to nothing alike. LotR is a co-op game, but The Hobbit is a semi co-op game only if one of the variants is played (that is - everybody loses if Smaug arrives at Lake Town) - either way there will still be one winner (unless Smaug hits Lake Town).

The Hobbit is a fun game - it's much more family weighted than LotR and gamers coming to it looking for something with a similar level of game play to LotR will probably be disappointed. I like it, though I wouldn't play it when I feel like something weighty - it's a great little family style game that is easy to play, doesn't outstay it's welcome and has a fantastic theme.

Cheers,

Giles.

Really nice game for family. Easy and fun. No need some great strategy and calculations. Game for rest. I very like it.

No one want to lose because of Smaug and everyone wants to win by jewels simultaneously. Very relax and fun.

I just picked it up a couple of days ago and played last night - 3 player game. Similar to LOTR, with the need for required "X" to pass an adventure instead of moving along seperate board. Smaug moves when you can't complete quests as a group and you draw tiles for failing which causes loss in abilities and possibly a Smaug move. Similar to Sauron moving along the corruption line and drawing the tiles. Worth getting yes. A good way to intro new players to the mechanic. We leveled our stats fairly quick so recommend that you play with no starting level bonus to make it more challenging.