Versus Mode

By charlest, in Gears of War: The Board Game

In hopes of generating more interest I'm going to post the full text here so you don't have to go to BGG.

You can play up to 4 characters per side. 4 on 4 would take quite awhile for everyone to go so I would recommend 2 on 2 or 3 on 3. Assymetrical matchups are also OK if you feel like it.

One team consists of COGS and the other Locusts. Each player chooses a miniature (No Wretches/Berserkers). You will not use a character card and none of the COGS have special abilities. Each character is equipped with a Lancer (2 ammo), Pistol (2 ammo), and 1 grenade. Everyone has a Defense of 1.

Follow all of the standard rules as if everyone was playing a COG. Each character has a hand of 6 Order Cards, Locusts can revive each other, Guard, etc.

If a card is played that refers to either COGS or Locusts on the Order Card, treat all allies as COGS and all enemies as Locusts. For example, if the card says "1 COG in the same space receives an Order Card", the Locust team can play this card and give a teammate an Order Card.

Turn Order alternates with starting team randomly determined or determined by scenario. After team A activates a single character, team B activates an unactivated character. After you activate your character place a token next to the character to indicate he has acted this round. The order can switch each round, make an opposed roll to see which side activates a model first (unless again the scenario specifies otherwise).

Guard Reactions - The Guard Reaction no longer functions as it does in the base game. Instead it can be used to either initiative a Chainsaw Duel (See below) or it may be discarded in reaction to move your character up to 1 space (including into or out of cover)
Suggested by: oatesatm

Death - If you are unlucky enough to be caught by the lancer chainsaw and the wielder rolls at least one Omen, you are outright dead and cannot be revived this round.

Chainsaw Duels - If somebody goes in for a chainsaw attack, and the defender has a Lancer as well, he can attempt a Guard if he has an applicable card. Each player separately rolls 4 dice and compares the number of Omens rolled; if one player rolls more Omens than the other, he wins and slices up his opponent. If both players have rolled at least one Omen and there is a tie, the player with the most Achievements wins the duel and kills his opponent. If both are tied in Achievements no one dies.
Suggested by: Dexter345

Opposed rolls - If the scenario or rules state you need to make an opposed roll (such as for deciding the team that activates first as above), you each roll 3 attack dice and count the number of hits. Omens count as a single hit. The side with the greater number of hits succeeds. If you tie, the side with the most combined Achievements wins. If still tied, re-roll.

You may bid ammo to add dice to an opposed roll. Each ammo or grenade token bid adds one die to roll. Bids can come from any player and any weapon. At the start of the round before actually rolling to see which side has initiative, each player should secretly place 0 or more ammo/grenade tokens into a closed fist. Everyone reveals their bids simultaneously. Teams can confer/huddle up before bidding.

Information - Ammo tokens and weapon cards are not public information anymore. You should screen your items so that only your side can see what you have.

Each multiplayer map contains deployment rules, map setup, and any other special rules that may apply. Generally maps are played till each opposing player is bleeding out, in which case the round ends and you restart the scenario with the victorious side gaining a point. Generally you play till 3 or 5 points but a scenario may have special rules concerning this.

What to look forward to in the coming days:
-A sample scenario and guidelines for creating your own
-Multiplayer Achievements
-Optional rules for starting loadout choice (start with Gnasher instead of Lancer, ammo choices, etc.)

Please give me some feedback and let me know your ideas/what you'd like to see. I have several intense scenarios in my head I will be formulating.

This sounds fun as hell. I like the chainsaw duel part the most. Now if only I could figure out how to Two-Piece....

Thanks for showing interest Noxize. I thought this would prove more popular but I guess the game is still too new.

Anyway, some optional rules:

Heavy Bleeding - When a character is damaged and bleeding out place a 6-sided die next to the knocked over figure with the 1 side facing up. Every time the character is activated increase the face-up side by 1 (from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.) if the character does nothing, and by 2 if he chooses to crawl a single space. Note - you must activate a character who is bleeding out at some point in the round.

When the D6 reaches 6 the character is dead and removed from the game.

Last Leg - A character who is reduced to a state of Bleeding Out is considered to be on his Last Leg. Next time he is Bleeding Out he is considered dead and may not be revived. Note - this may become an official rule.
Suggested by: Mmzomba

Optional Weapon Loadouts - When choosing your character you may also choose your starting equipment. You start with 1 primary (either a Lancer or Gnasher Shotgun), and a snub pistol. Ammo and Grenades are chosen based on the following points system:

Each character has 7 points.
Primary Ammo - 2 points
Secondary Ammo - 1 point
Grenades - 2 points

Note - Do Not forget about bidding ammo for Initiative at the start of each round. This can be crucial and makes the cheaper secondary ammo more desirable.

On Borrowed Time (requires a stopwatch for each side) - Each side/team has 2 minutes to act total. Start the team's stopwatch when it is their turn to activate a character and stop it when they are finished. When a team's stopwatch hits 2 minutes they must immediately end their turn and will not be able to activate any additional characters this round.

This looks great.

How do you create maps in this multiplayer? Do you shuffle the location cards and draw them at random (if so how many/big are the areas) and how do you choose starting locations? A good idea would be for one team to choose the start locations and the second team to choose which of these they want to start in (similar to runewars starting locations).

Cheers

Great question Monk. I'm working on the first two scenarios/maps and trying to decide exactly how to do this.

I think map generation may be scenario dependent without a standardization.

Here's a teaser:

One particular scenario I have involves the largest tile in the middle of the table (not at home to reference tile numbers). Each side has 3 tiles leading to this room. I imagine the three tiles would be picked by the scenario but then shuffled to determine the order as per normal areas in a scenario.

Objective would be King of the Hill - at the end of each turn (after all players have activated), each team scores a point for each character occupying a space on the middle tile. Once your entire team is bleeding out you respawn your team at the starting location (the team with members still standing does not respawn).

The twist: There's a berserker in the middle tile and no Hammer of Dawn to be found.

This would not be the standard Death Match scenario which is the first scenario I have in mind. I just wanted to give a teaser about this King of the Hill scenario and share my enthusiasm.

The only issue holding me back right now is how to balance maps. If you have random tile draws (from the cards) the map could be unbalanced if one team gets multiple ammo tiles and the other doesn't.

I'm thinking the solution is non-randomized tiles but randomized order (like the base game does areas). This is how the King of Hill scenario above works.

The question now becomes what tiles should be in each group above. I'd like to present multiple options for each scenario as well (i.e. use these 3 cards for team A and these for team B OR use these other 3 cards for Team A and these other 3 for Team B). Maximum replayability that way.

By the way, it wasn't clear but there's no Locust Activation Round in the Multiplayer Mode. The Berserker rules will handle how it acts/reacts for the King of the Hill scenario.

I have other scenario ideas in mind as well featuring other Locusts.

I really liked what I read, but my game has not arrived yet, so he comes and we played the first matchs, I will test this mode...

thanks for sharing :)

For completeness, here are the other questions that were asked (and answered by Corey).

Q. If Locusts are moved as the result of Order Cards such as "Sit Tight" and "Ambush", does the Locust take cover after it is moved (if it has a Take Cover icon)?

Q. If an AI card gets a few locusts to target "you" (not "nearest COG figure") and you bleed out after the first locust attacks you, what do the rest of the locusts do?
A bleeding out active player still makes all choices on the card, and if the AI card refers to "you", the card instead targets any other COG of the active player’s choice. (page 21)

Q. Who wins if the COGs accomplish the mission but all COGs bleed out? (e.g. if you drop a grenade in your area and blow everybody up, including yourself).
A. If all COGS are bleeding out, they lose the game (regardless of if they are fulfilling the victory conditions).

Q. Do ammo tokens also include grenade tokens?

More details (inc. answers) here.

Bah, posted to wrong thread, and doesn't look like I can edit/delete.

An incentive for players to move could be play the map in something like "Dominance" mode.

After all players acted, each team scores a point for each tile they control: a team controls a tile if and only if :

-there are no figures of the opposing team on that tile

-the tile is the team entrance tile or is adjacent to a tile controlled by the team

Both the above condition must be fulfilled in order for the tile to be "controlled".

Set a score limit (I think 5 times the number of tiles in play could be a good balance).

The first team who reaches the limit wins. If both teams reached the limits at the same time, the team with more point wins. If both teams reached the limit at the same time and have the same points, the team that started second wins (alternatively, continue playing turns until one team is ahead of the other: the team with more points wins).

Obviously: if all figures of a team are bleeding out, that team loses. (If all figures of both teams are bleeding out, then the match is a draw).

What do you think?

Schummy said:

a team controls a tile if and only if :

-there are no figures of the opposing team on that tile

-the tile is the team entrance tile or is adjacent to a tile controlled by the team

Both the above condition must be fulfilled in order for the tile to be "controlled".

Forgot to add:

-at least one figure of the team has entered that tile in this or a previous round.

Without such a requirement, teams, specially at early rounds, would get points even for tiles they did never move into.