Solo play and rule problem

By guest17211, in Gears of War: The Board Game

Hi everyone

I played my first solo game which took along time to do. Let me start by saying I like the game there just few thing that let it down. The rule book layout need to be look at. It does my head in when you start reading a page and then it send you to another page and so on. Infomation about weapons seem not to be covered that clearly. I mean how many weapon can you hold at once, is there a ammo limit to each one and grenades how many can you have at one time. It would of been nice if fantasy flight had done a full section in the rule book base on all the weapon in the game. Given full breakdown on each weapon with all the rule to do with weapons in one place. The other thing that need to me look is the AI deck for start it is to small for a game. I think it should be the same size as the gears order deck with few more diffrent card in it. While playing the first mission on stage 1 where you have to seal the hole where the Locust come out near the last exit before can move to stage 2 where you killed all of the locust on the board win. I had killed all the locust one the board and the problem for me was when it move onto the locust stage and you draw a AI card it told me at the bottom of the card that if no Locust are one the map draw another AI card. So I would go from one card to the next until I got a card that told me to spawn more Locust before I could move onto the heal step. Now maybe I play it wrong but should I only been able to draw one AI card once per turn. There alot more stuff that I could go into but I leave it at that for now. The next game I play will be based on the video game and say you can only take 4 weapons and 4 grenades. If there is no limit on the grenades you stay in area A12 get as many grenades as you like and just move right across the map blowing the locust away without a problem . Let me know what you all think and if rules wrong than tell me what pages in rulebook that covers the mistakes I made.

Weapon limits are on page 20, column 1, under "Important Weapon Restriction". Only 1 grenade card allowed, plus up to 3 other weapons. No limit on ammo or grenade tokens that I've seen anywhere in the rules.

Yes, you can "park" on the "unlimited grenade card", but you may still only accumulate 1 per turn, and must also play at least one card per turn.

Suggestion for solo play: try running two COGs.

TK

I've had GoW for about 3 weeks now and have been playing solo with 2 COG's. First, let me say that this game is very enjoyable. There are plenty of nail biting moments to keep you going for just one more round of play. I especially enjoy creating my own random rooms and Locust. It adds plenty of re-playability. I have a comment about the AI deck when you have killed all the Locust on a level. The AI cards ask you to continually draw a new card if a matching Locust is not present. In the meantime, your COG players are just standing around, not able to heal or move forward. Normally, you draw an AI card after each COG player's order card. This simulates a pulse-like movement sequence for the COG's and the Locust. Why should this sequence be suspended, if you have successfully cleared a level of Locust? My suggestion is that the COG player should be able to activate one of their units after each AI card is drawn (even if no Locust unit appears). This would allow the COG player to progress through a level and also heal units over time. Does this make sense?

I have decided that when all the locust are kill on a map and it tell you to draw another AI card that you can only draw another AI card once per turn. That why the AI deck need reworked. There should make each AI card have a rule if there are no locust on the map spawn the follow locust near the exit.

Graham1874 said:

I have decided that when all the locust are kill on a map and it tell you to draw another AI card that you can only draw another AI card once per turn. That why the AI deck need reworked. There should make each AI card have a rule if there are no locust on the map spawn the follow locust near the exit.

Seems like it would make the game much easier, I've had several turns where I've drawn 4+ AI cards, thus cycling the deck and getting closer to a reshuffle, which would of course see the bad cards back in the deck.