Grenades?

By Oathman, in Gears of War: The Board Game

How many grenade tokens can I have on a COG? Damon Baird can activate equipment with out playing a card. In the first mission, Emergence I can colect grenades in room 12A and not discard the room card. Can I then stay there and mass up on grenades?

/Oathman

No limit, but you can still only pick up 1 Bolo per turn and still have to play an Order card during your turn.

But playing Order card to perform special action counts towards 1 Order card that must be player per turn.

Cr33z said:

But playing Order card to perform special action counts towards 1 Order card that must be player per turn.

Eh, where are you getting that from? There are two uses for an Order card. One is to play it normally for its effect (alternatively to make 1 attack or move 2), the other is discarding them to trigger Special Actions.

"Special Actions
Before or after resolving each action on his Order card,
the player may discard a card from his hand to perform
one of the following special actions" (p. 10)

You can discard up to three cards (revive, pickup, activate) before resolving an Action on your Order card, but you still need to play an Order for an Order of some sorts. I don't see discarding a card for a Special Action as fulfilling: "Playing an Order card during this step is mandatory." (p. 10) Discarding =/= Playing, even if a card is discarded after it has been played and resolved.

Further, since Damon can pick up/activate for free as per his own special ability, you're not even discarding for his ability.

So if I only want to pickup an item in my turn, I have to play additional order card just to practically ignore all text on it and then discard it? It doesn't make too much sense for me.

Maybe not, but those are the rules. If you have Explore, that would fulfill both in one card, since you play it for your Order, then not move, but can still pickup/activate for free. I think the idea is to prevent COGs from recovering health (cards) by just doing nothing (drawing 2 per turn). You have to play 1 Order card, even if you don't actually intend to move or attack at all, although such cases have been very rare in my 18 plays so far. Almost always there somewhere else to go (since you can pickup/activate, then move) or a Locust to attack.