Quick Questions

By unclejo, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Okay, so very quick questions from a new player who has (hopefully...) discovered all of the mistakes he's been making....

1. When monsters appear as part of a Mythos card, do they stay on the board? I'm guessing that they do, as rulebook only mentions location cards under the pertinent rules.

2. When you are delayed, do you still take encounter cards/use location special abilities?

3. When you are arrested, do you still take a police station encounter/use police station special ability?

unclejo said:

Okay, so very quick questions from a new player who has (hopefully...) discovered all of the mistakes he's been making....

1. When monsters appear as part of a Mythos card, do they stay on the board? I'm guessing that they do, as rulebook only mentions location cards under the pertinent rules.

2. When you are delayed, do you still take encounter cards/use location special abilities?

3. When you are arrested, do you still take a police station encounter/use police station special ability?

1. yes, unless of course monster limit have been reached and outskirts gets full.

2. yes. both in arkham and in other worlds.

3. no.

Okay, two more questions that I had from my last game:

If a gate opens through an encounter (not a mythos card) do you add to the doom track?

If a gate and a monster appear as an encounter on top of an investigator, is he immediately sucked through the gate or does he face the monster first then get sucked through the gate?

unclejo said:

Okay, two more questions that I had from my last game:

1. If a gate opens through an encounter (not a mythos card) do you add to the doom track?

2. If a gate and a monster appear as an encounter on top of an investigator, is he immediately sucked through the gate or does he face the monster first then get sucked through the gate?

1. yes.

2. immediately sucked through. see him as replaced by the monster. investigator goes in, monster come out.

Yeah, thematically speaking see this as if the gate appears and the forces released suck the investigator through the gate. Then, with the passing of time, some monsters on the other side of the gate will notice the passage and emerge in our world

PS: I'm officially back! I have internet at home! After only 49 days of phone calls to the customer service! Woah!

Julia said:

PS: I'm officially back! I have internet at home! After only 49 days of phone calls to the customer service! Woah!

Welcome back to the real world ;'D

Thank you darling ;-)

Okay, hopefully my last question as I think I've got most of the rules down now. Thanks for all the help so far!

So, we just defeated Hastur in a Final Battle, and I'm a little unsure how the mechanics should be working here. We needed 3 successes to remove each doom token (3 players). I roll one success. The next player rolls 3 successes.

Heres where I get confused. Do we remove one doom counter and save up one success, or remove one doom counter only?

We played it the first way and narrowly won.

you played it right. Partials carry over between investigators and turns. I usually keep track of this by placing clues or power on the AO sheet. Congrats on your win!

you played it right. you can see it this way.

* Hastur have 13 doom tokens.
* 3 players.
* it takes 13*3 = 39 hits to kill Hastur.
* an easy way to keep track is to remove a doom token every third hit.

Awesome. We got really lucky as one of our players picked up the best magic weapon just before it opened and even though I was only rolling one dice I managed to get a success every turn.

Hastur with just base game is known for his glass jaw - low incidence of terror increases = easy takedown in FB (not that -3 is all that easy). Plus his long doomtrack makes for a deep slumber. 8 clues per seal often hurts mid-late game though.

Once you add a few expansions the terror track gets nastier...sometimes downright evil (Yellow King Im looking at you). I still say Glaaki+Yellow King - *shudder* - is one of the sickest games in the pool.

dj2.0: I'm not quite so sure about that. Mind you, I've never faced Glaaki, but on paper, it seems like this would be a problem only if the Terror Track rises. It's not all that hard to prevent it from doing so. In fact, if you have Charlie Kane with a passed story, it's quite easy to stop it rising (and if Charlie passes his story and gets Changed, the Terror will never rise).

Yeah, well Charlie Kane is not in every game, and Changed is hard (perhaps foolish) to obtain.

And, if multiple terror-ups occur, Charlie can't use his Changed for all of them.

Glaaki definitely stings harder with terror-ups than Hastur. But, Father Dagon stings hardest of all. Pair him up instead of The King in Yellow and you're in for a tragic night.

What...? Uh, sorry about the double post. Not really sure how that happened.

I suppose you're right, Tibs. I suppose I just contest the idea that they play off each other well. Glaaki's ability triggers when the Terror Track rises, as does the King's, but that doesn't quite make them a combo, it just means you're in trouble if the Terror Track rises (not that it still wouldn't be difficult to play against them). A combo would be when one's ability is triggered by something caused by the other, like, say, the King in Yellow and Rhan-Tegoth.

But I must agree with you on Dagon. I just played against him and...AAAAAAARRRRRRGHHRGHRGHARHGH. Definitely the hardest herald after the Black Goat (granted, I haven't played against Hydra yet but, based on what I've heard on here, she doesn't measure up to Dagon or the Goat). Dagon would make Nyarlathotep difficult. Particularly insulting is the use of the term "spend" for the clue token loss. ("But I don't want to spend a clue! We don't all have clues, so it wouldn't stop the doom token!" "But you have to spend the clue, the sheet says so." "So what do I get for spending it?" "You get a doom token.")

Father Dagon and Rhan-Tegoth is just about the least fun game you could ask me to play. Had one of those recently and all it took was a single Cultist to completely ruin my chances.

We played against Yog Sothoth yesterday and it woke up due to too many monsters. Anyway, I digress, my newest questions resulting from this game are as follows:

If I get multiple copies of the same spell (In this case, shrivelling) can I cast them both for a pretty nifty +12 to combat checks?

Should closing a gate remove monsters from The Terrible Experiment rumor? We played it that it didn't and got really screwed as a result!

unclejo said:

If I get multiple copies of the same spell (In this case, shrivelling) can I cast them both for a pretty nifty +12 to combat checks?

Should closing a gate remove monsters from The Terrible Experiment rumor? We played it that it didn't and got really screwed as a result!

You can cast multiple time the same spells, according that a) you have enough copy of it (since you have to exhaust it after casting) and b) you have enough hands to devote to them. So, no probs in casting twice shrivelling if you have to copies of it.

Monsters from The Terrible Experiment are not considered on the board ("These monsters do not move, are not considered on the board, and do not count against the monster limit.") while instructions for removing monsters after closing / sealing a gate clearly say "all monsters in Arkham, the Sky and the Outskirts" (see core rules, pag. 18), so you played it properly, don't remove Terrible Experiment monsters from the board after closing gates

Tibs said:

Father Dagon and Rhan-Tegoth is just about the least fun game you could ask me to play. Had one of those recently and all it took was a single Cultist to completely ruin my chances.

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Tibs said:

Why? I can't find any logical connection between their abilities.

Cultists boost Rhan doom track, while Dagon boosts down your clues, lenghtening the game. Something you should avoid in a Rhan game

Rhan boosts both the Doom and Terror Tracks when a Cultist shows up. The Terror track triggers Dagon, who drains clues and quite probably raises the Doom Track.

Walk said:

Rhan boosts both the Doom and Terror Tracks when a Cultist shows up. The Terror track triggers Dagon, who drains clues and quite probably raises the Doom Track.

Yeah, right, I forgot Rhan triggers also an increase in terror. Good catch, Walk, thank you

Okay, I have the Revised version of the nain box, so my Flesh Wards, Lanterns and Healing stones shouldn't need to be switched with the ones from Dunwich. However, I have discovered a discrepancy. The Dunwich Healing Stone is $2 cheaper!!!

Obviously a gamebreaking discrepancy. Just for completenesses sake, which version should I be using?