Rpg

By æonsin, in Gears of War: The Board Game

More for the developers than the forums (though I would love to hear everyone's opinion on this), but is there a possibility of a pen and paper role playing game in the works? With the wealth of material not just from the games but the novels and comics, and a diehard fan base out there it might be a profitable idea to publish. Let alone all the varying types of campaigns that could be made from the setting alone. Be it COG soldiers struggling to save humanity, to being a group of stranded trying to survive while still remaining free without the oppressive governments laws. Home brewing a rules and stats would be easy enough, but it doesn't beat the feel of an actual book in hand. Just a question I wanted to pose. If this is posted somewhere else, I apologize for the clutter.

yes that would be awesome but i doubt it seriously but i have also thought of the same thing but never sure what system to begin with; d20, 3d6, dice pool of d10's or d12's. Aside from systeming what types of talents or skills should be added. We should get together and make a homebrew of gow rpg pen and paper then get a few others that might be interested and test it .for 1 i love pen and paper games starwars, d&d, ect..and 2 i love making games and game systems that compliment the game like i made a home brew of mortal kombat that gave the game a nice feel but never got any responds on it

onimike said:

yes that would be awesome but i doubt it seriously but i have also thought of the same thing but never sure what system to begin with; d20, 3d6, dice pool of d10's or d12's. Aside from systeming what types of talents or skills should be added. We should get together and make a homebrew of gow rpg pen and paper then get a few others that might be interested and test it .for 1 i love pen and paper games starwars, d&d, ect..and 2 i love making games and game systems that compliment the game like i made a home brew of mortal kombat that gave the game a nice feel but never got any responds on it

was thinking more along the line of the dice pool method using d10's in multiple sets up to 5 dice per skill or ability. Like 2 points in ranged attack by weapon is 2d10+weapon/ability. And a experience based point buy system for abilities and skills ect..

It would probably be simple enough to retheme Deathwatch as Gears of War. Although, unless you're a die-hard FFGer, I'd think World of Darkness would be more flexible.

d20 is a great system and all, but I find it does a poor job of simulating guns. They either do damage like other weapons, leading to an inordinate number of bullets required to take down a high level human, or they do too much via special rules designed to simulate the idea that one bullet can kill a person, and they end up one-shotting everything.

Steve-O said:

It would probably be simple enough to retheme Deathwatch as Gears of War. Although, unless you're a die-hard FFGer, I'd think World of Darkness would be more flexible.

d20 is a great system and all, but I find it does a poor job of simulating guns. They either do damage like other weapons, leading to an inordinate number of bullets required to take down a high level human, or they do too much via special rules designed to simulate the idea that one bullet can kill a person, and they end up one-shotting everything.

I agree although i dont know what Deathwatch is but as a system like WOD i agree because a d10 die pool i think is the best way to bring gears together. And d20 with the class system is to restricted having to take negative penalties for multi-classes even though in real life its not like we cant other things besides our career or trade lol. Basically i think having a experience buy chart with a list of skills and adding die for exp. Further more exp would come from how much your roll exceeds current DC/Attack/Skill ect. Adding the total exp then a spot on character sheet for spent exp and unspent, this i feel makes it even in gp for the more you do the more exp you gain. Of course your defenses consist of Reaction, Damage reduction, Threshold and your offenses are range (by weapon), Melee, Grapple. Any ideas on your side?

onimike said:

Steve-O said:

I agree although i dont know what Deathwatch is but as a system like WOD i agree because a d10 die pool i think is the best way to bring gears together. And d20 with the class system is to restricted having to take negative penalties for multi-classes even though in real life its not like we cant other things besides our career or trade lol. Basically i think having a experience buy chart with a list of skills and adding die for exp. Further more exp would come from how much your roll exceeds current DC/Attack/Skill ect. Adding the total exp then a spot on character sheet for spent exp and unspent, this i feel makes it even in gp for the more you do the more exp you gain. Of course your defenses consist of Reaction, Damage reduction, Threshold and your offenses are range (by weapon), Melee, Grapple. Any ideas on your side?

also was looking at werewolf apocalypse system and that seems to fit in almost perfect and with a few alterations that system would be great i think for this type of game what do u think??

You could even use the rules from Cyberpunk or Shadowrun – those rules are written for near-future gunfights.

ill have to check that out i like the idea gears i feel offers a lot of gaming options and would be perfect for an rpg variant with huge campaign with vast mission options. it could introduce many new characters and recruiting options for cog or locust and could use civilons for gangs and ally's