Looks great...

By Zozimusque Romanus, in Wiz-War

I'm stoked for this to come out. I never played the original game, though - how would it compare to say, the randomness of Talisman, versus, (let's say) the strategic qualities of LOTR: The Confrontation? Is it a quick game, like Drakon or CaveTroll, or would it be the centrepiece of a gaming night?

Zozimus said:

I'm stoked for this to come out. I never played the original game, though - how would it compare to say, the randomness of Talisman, versus, (let's say) the strategic qualities of LOTR: The Confrontation? Is it a quick game, like Drakon or CaveTroll, or would it be the centrepiece of a gaming night?

Randomness is based on card draws. Each player maintains a hand of cards that have either spells in them or numbers. The numbers can be used to increase your movement or power spells. Spells do all kinds of things from moving boards, creating/destroying walls, summoning critters, launching damaging spells, etc. Expect games to last around an hour(ish) with four players. Drakon is a good comparison for complexity. Of course, this is all based on the earlier versions of Wiz War. It's unclear how much FFG is changing the game yet, though the few components I have seen appear to all be similar from the earlier games.

I will have to check this out when it's released.