proper use of attack dice

By Blutsteigen, in Mutant Chronicles

Just to clarify, a unit only rolls its melee attack dice OR its ranged, never both in the same volley?

Secondly, if a unit has no melee dice, can they always attack something in an adjacent hex?

No, you always roll ALL YOUR ATTACK DICE when you attack, be it an adjacent or non-adjacent target. The names "heavy melee" or "light range" for the dice are here for naming purpose only. In fact, dice combinations are an abstract way to reflect ALL THE WEAPONS a specific trooper has got. For example, the two green dice of a Venusian Ranger Trooper reflect both his rifle for long range (good accuracy) and his dagger in melee (puny damage at close range, when compared to all other dice).

There is no distinction between ranged attacks and melee attacks in this game. There are only some effects which makes a distinction between adjacent and non-adjacent targets/attackers (for example, Dodge works only against non-adjacent attackers).

Hope that helps !

Wrong. gui%C3%B1o.gif

In an attack, you roll ALL your dices ALWAYS. When you call the dices "melee" and "ranged" it's logical there would be some mistakes. Think of "short range" and "long range". Besides, "accuracy" doesn't mean "distance". The attacks you fail rolling red or yellow dices had simply fail the target, but you have reach (and probably pass) the distance between the two minis.

It change all the rules and strategies, right? lengua.gif

Always before me, Paptimus! aplauso.gif

Aniway, as Paptimus said. gran_risa.gif

Big clarification here : you roll all dice for each attack regardless its is ranged or melee. The "melee" or "ranged" labels are only indicativ.

At least we all agree ! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Yes it's good you do agree! And thankfully we only screwed this up the very last game we played, when someone questioned it. The previous 4 or so we did correctly. Thanks everyone.

One caveat, however: if a unit only has melee dice, then it obviously cannot attack at range, correct?

I will repeat this: Don't think in "melee" and "ranged", think about "short range" and "long range". The "melee" attack means you are attacking with short range weapons (a pistol, a hand-to-hand weapon, etc...), but you can reach all the distance you have to. Seriously.

This is of course, unless you have a "melee" unit like the Ezoghoul. They can only attack adjacent to the enemy. Because it's written "melee" on their unit card ability.

Nighthawk said:

This is of course, unless you have a "melee" unit like the Ezoghoul. They can only attack adjacent to the enemy. Because it's written "melee" on their unit card ability.

Thanks Night, we are good to go as we have all the other rules down pat. Now time to get that 2nd starter and really get some large battles going.

When I explain the game to new players, and I strongly recommend to do the same, I don't say anything about the dice names, 'cause it only adds confusion.